how many tubers in this pot ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many tubers in this pot ?

I have just bought 2 pots for my pots this year (small garden). They are bell shaped, 50cm diameter at the top and about the same deep. I am planning on planting king edwards.
    Firstly, are king edwards OK for this size pot, or will the yield be too low. And Secondly, how many should I plant in each pot ?

.. and thirdly! What compost do people recommend ?

Originally posted by gingerneil View Post
    I have just bought 2 pots for my pots this year (small garden). They are bell shaped, 50cm diameter at the top and about the same deep. I am planning on planting king edwards.
    Firstly, are king edwards OK for this size pot, or will the yield be too low. And Secondly, how many should I plant in each pot ?

.. and thirdly! What compost do people recommend ?
    They are BIGGGG pots! About 20 inch wide and deep in old money! I would guess that in that size pot you could plant five tubers in each. I would buy some cheap growbags and use the compost from them or general potting compost if you can afford it!
    King Edwards should be OK as most tatties grow well in pots, although most people grow earlies!!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I would plant 3
      Any other offers??
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        I would plant 3
        Any other offers??
        I wouldn't argue with you on that one Nicos! I was torn between three and five!
        I personally think if growing in pots it is better to use a smaller pot and plant one tuber, that way when you want a meal, you just tip the pot out!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Got a pot like this myself. I'm going to get my 2 year old grand daughter to help me plant 3 tubers of Arran Pilot in it tomorrow. I'm using a general purpose compost (with added rooster poo!) She's very much an outdoor girl so I thought if she had a few pots in my garden (tom, pepper, courgette etc) I could make a gardener out of her.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            I personally think if growing in pots it is better to use a smaller pot and plant one tuber, that way when you want a meal, you just tip the pot out!
            I have 4 x10litre pots for the super earlies which I put just one tuber in but grow "Charlotte" 5 to a 35 litre pot.I do tend to "mine" very carefully with my hand to see or rather feel how they are doing when I think they should be ready
            It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

I think I'll go with Snadger on this one Gingernell. I usually plant 3 tubers in an ordinary bucket, but in a container that size I think you could plant 5. I use the compost from a grow bag, and put some manure (6X or similar) in the bottom. From 3 Charlotte in a bucket I get about 4lbs of potatoes. I did plant 1 Rooster in a bucket and got nearly 7 lbs. Couldn't believe it. They were just about climbing out the top. Nadine split the bucket ! So the crop was good, but the flavour wasn't as good as Charlotte. I never grow mains - just earlies.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.
                I got a little confussed when posting - the plan is to use the pots for Maris Piper second earlies, and not K Edwards.
                I'll go with the cheap groww bag option and aim for about 4 per pot - but I'll see how they look. I've not bought them or started chitting yet, so it'll be a few weeks until they go in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X