Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing tomatoes in Pots

Hey All

What's the smallest size pot I can get away with? I've got some rectangular pots that are 18cm square at the top and 21.5cm tall - apparently they have a 6.2 litre capacity. Would this be an OK size to grow tomatoes in - one per pot?

Not that my tomaotes have sprouted yet...still waiting...but it's over 20 degrees in my unheated greenhouse, depsite the cold weather outside, so there's still hope.

E

Hi Eskymo, through neccessity I grew them in pots some years ago. I started them off in 3" pots and gradually worked up until the fully grown plants were in 10" ones. Using growbags is a lot easier.
    Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

I grow 2 bush toms together in B&Q bucket,but individually in 10 in pots.

Comment

I guess pots will be ok then

Comment

Having always had problems getting enough water into gowbags, i grew my greenhouse tomatoes in pots last year. I used the Sankey tomato pots, but a big black bucket would do the job just as well. The pots were 30cm diameter (12 inches in old money!), i would say this is the minimum size suitable - i'm going to try to get some bigger ones, or use buckets as the roots filled all available space and the plants were huge! I also mixed in the water retentive granules. The bigger the pot, the more compost you use, the less you have to water! (well, thats how i see it anyway )
          There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
          Happy Gardening!

Comment

I used Morrison's flower buckets last year - one tomato per pot in multi-purpose compost. They did fine so will repeat this system for this year
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Sorry, I'm old and still have trouble with centimetres. 10 inch pots are good for tomatoes - I got some recycled flower buckets from the Co-op last year, drilled holes for drainage and they were perfect. Cost me all of 10 pence each.

Comment

Bed soil for me I'm afraid, can't guarantee I'll get to the lottie every day!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Personally I think 10inch pots are too small. You will of course get tomatoes from plants grown in this size of pots but I think if you congine a tom plant to 10inches it is not going to reach its full potential.
                  Only my personal opinion of course.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi, I grew my toms in large pots, prob 10inch, last year aswell as growing them in bags. Problem I had with pot toms was stability, they get so top heavy and a couple of my plants toppled over. So I would recommend grow bags, and I use those metal supports which loop underneath the bag to hold a sturdy cane in place. I plan to save my pots for tumbling toms this year. My advice is this only use pots if you have a sturdy frame to support the toms.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X