Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runner bean query (I think they are doomed)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
    I have composted them all apart from my strongest one just to experiment a little.
    I forgot to say earlier what blinking healthy plants they looked in the photos. Sorry you had to compost them

That strongest one? that's the one that Jack got when he sold the cow
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Lotsaveg View Post
      I'd be inclined to try troughs of carrots so you can have a constant supply of tender baby carrots
      I was considering using the 'Rondo' variety carrots in guttering after reading some info, they are rounded carrots and dont tap very deep?
      My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
        I forgot to say earlier what blinking healthy plants they looked in the photos. Sorry you had to compost them

That strongest one? that's the one that Jack got when he sold the cow
        Hehe, theres one plant not in the picture about twice the size of the others with a much thicker stem it grew like a demon compared to the others.
        My new Blog.

Comment

James,

Re your drive do you know the axis i.e. east/west, north/south.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Sorry about the plants James, they looked healthy ones too.

You could try salad leaves on your drive, or curly kale is a good one in shade. Anything leafy.

Blueberries are also good in shade apparently. I've just invested in a couple of bushes for the side of my house.
            Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
              I was considering using the 'Rondo' variety
              OK for difficult soil, but you don't get much carrot for your effort. Can't you grow longer ones in containers of mpc?

sorry about your beans (I've got some dwarf Frenchies on my windowsills - to be used as a demo about light requirements, but if we are lucky they'll live to crop in the gh)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                James,

Re your drive do you know the axis i.e. east/west, north/south.

Colin
                S/W to N/E best i can tell with my android app

Blueberries.
                As it happens I have 4 blueberry plants ready to go, just need to get some pots and ericaceous compost sorted out.
                Last edited by Jamesy_uk; 21-03-2011, 05:43 PM.
                My new Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  OK for difficult soil, but you don't get much carrot for your effort. Can't you grow longer ones in containers of mpc?

sorry about your beans (I've got some dwarf Frenchies on my windowsills - to be used as a demo about light requirements, but if we are lucky they'll live to crop in the gh)
                  Not had much luck in containers before but I was even less experienced than I am now , my main thinking for the guttering was I could get a large length for free or cheap and could keep it off the floor with some brackets freeing up space.

I really am open to any suggestions as it's for my son mainly the bigger the variety of stuff I can get him trying the better. When I was a kid my mum despaired at my lack of diversity with food, I ate cornflakes, rice pudding, chips,peas and sweets and that was it until i was 8 or so
                  My new Blog.

Comment

Carrots in mpc in containers are easy

Comment

Time for another try then
                      I have some early nantes 2 sitting in the cupboard from last year, worth a punt sowing them now or wait a few weeks?
                      My new Blog.

Comment

Carrots apparently prefer a soil temp of at least 10c (my gh is still only 6c at night so I'm waiting) Carrot Growing - In depth guide to growing carrots

Comment

James,

If you have concerns about the wind then obviously stay away from tall plants but anything low growing and not needing full sun should work.

Couple of dustbins of spuds, small raised beds 9" deep for for cut and come again calabrese, these followed by spring cabbage. Pots of herbs, raddish, spring onions the list goes on.

Colin
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X