What would dig up houseleeks and why?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would dig up houseleeks and why?

I separated and replanted some baby houseleeks at the weekend. Both of the past two nights, they've been dug up and scattered! They're on a wire shelf about three feet off the ground and the tray of other seedlings next to them is untouched. Whatever it is, isn't eating them and I'd have thought if they want something in the compost, they'd have raked through the other tray too?

I presume the obvious candidates would be squirrel, cat, bird, perhaps even fox but why?

Can anyone shed any light on the situation for me?
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Maybe sparrows or blackbirds? They both have a tendency to pull & tug at vegetation? Dunno though tbh.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Exactly the same thing happened to our trays of newly planted strawberry runners. For four nights running something was pulling them out and throwing them on to the path.

They've been OK since Grumpy covered them loosely with chicken wire so we suspect the blackbird.

But why?
      The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Blackbird looking for grubs is my guess. I have seen them make a right mess with plants and muck all over the place.

Ian

Comment

As long as they eat the vine weevil grubs they can pull up as many plants as they like.
          The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X