international kidney

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• international kidney

has anyone grown international kidney potatos and if so are they as tasty as jersey royals i have been informed by other plotholders on my site that these are not jersey royals under a different name my mind bogals

havent got an answer but there was some 'discussion' about these a while ago, if you put international kidney in the search thingy i'm sure it will come up with what you need to know
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I always thought that International Kidney was the name of Jersey Royals when they are grown outside of Jersey - could be wrong though (it happens quite a lot!). Would guess that they still might not taste quite the same though as the soil and climate would be different. Not enough space to grow pots though so can't tell you from experience.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

International Kidney is the variety grown.

Jersey Royals is the marketing brand name.

They are the one variety, but one is grown commercially in Jersey.
        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
          Alot of the flavour from Jersey Royals comes from the location where they are grown.
          That's from the seaweed put on the fields.
          Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
          Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
          I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

So would they taste the same if you watered them with seaweed feed?
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
              So would they taste the same if you watered them with seaweed feed?
              I asked the same question at the end of last year and was going to try an experiment on the same lines! Unfortunately all but one of my Christmas Jersey Royals failed...so I didn't bother!

I have got some International Kidney seed potatoes now, which btw are a maincrop potatoe lifted early at the same time or before earlies!! The seed potatoes are huge , so I think I'll grow them as a maincrop and lift a few early myself!

If I was organised, or could be bothered, I would use half as a control and water the other half with seaweed extract to see if there was any difference in taste. Only time will tell.

Watch this space!
              Last edited by Snadger; 19-03-2007, 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

...The spuds are grown on fields leading down to the sea and so get covered in sea spray. It must affect the flavour of the potatoes. I know that International Kidney grown in Cheshire clay are horrible!
                Just reminded me of (real) sherries, manzanillas are kept in barrels by the coast and the sea 'air' gives them the salty tang.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Peter apparently they don't use the seaweed mulch anymore. After reading the reports about the salt levels in the ground I'm not surprised. Yes! Shock horror! I Googled!!

The spuds are grown on fields leading down to the sea and so get covered in sea spray. It must affect the flavour of the potatoes. I know that International Kidney grown in Cheshire clay are horrible!
                  Do you mean horrible Lesley or tasteless? Did you grow them to maturity btw?
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I didnt realise that the soil affected the flavour of potatoes. Does anyone have any good tips on what to put on my new beds that Im going to be growing tatties on this year? Everyone on my site has been throwing pony poo around everywhere, but I thought I read somewhere that tatties don't need this? Bernie aka Dexterdog
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

neither did i but peter is correct they still to this day use seaweed on there ground
                      i was in jersey last summer and was informed there.
                      (what a Beautifull place went to see the battle of flowers and did not regret it one bit off again in august cannot wait )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X