X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
    Found 'em!

Purple haze: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_F...tanmk4CnAY.jpg

Early nantes (amazing taste): https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_F...tHATMXW6cW.jpg

Autmn King: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_F...oto%281%29.JPG (50p next to it for comparison of size)

No idea how it got that big, that was grown in normal, stoney garden soil, the bed was deep - and I had dug it to loosen the soil (double dug) - sods inverted, covered in newspaper, soaked and back filled. I presume the tap root went right down to seek the water which is why it fattened up so much.

I ate most of those carrots raw when wandering around the garden! That big one went into carrot and parsnip soup - that one, plus a huge parsnip made 1 big vat of soup. Frugal! [why do I always spell parsnip parnsip?!]

ETA:

I only had about 2 carrots affected with root fly - I sowed very thinly, and picked either very early morning, or late on when it wasn't windy.. didn't protect them any other way - may have just been lucky though!
    I am growing in a raised bed - very raised!
    I will ask Mr VVG about Autumn King ;-) That is certainly a corker! Love the colour of that presumably Welsh slate too. You should be very proud of those carrots. Hope I get a decent crop.
    Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 01-04-2011, 08:13 AM.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Autumn King are brilliant - they grow to a really good size, and I've kept mine in the ground with fleece over them all through winter. Stored fine, and still picking them now.
      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post
        Autumn King are brilliant - they grow to a really good size, and I've kept mine in the ground with fleece over them all through winter. Stored fine, and still picking them now.
        Trip to Ryton on Sunday for Mother's Day so I will go wild in the aisles and see what they have - Autumn King sound good. So many varieties, so little time!
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I'm growing "Parmax" it's a little round carrot...never fails. Also "Yellowstone" and "Purple Haze, all have yet to germinate, but I have faith in them.

Comment

I am fairly new and impatient to veg gardening this year and so I sowed Autumn King 2 and Purple Haze outdoor in containers on 6/3 and the first germinated on 26/3, Now many have germinated and seem to be growing well. Also bought Royal Chantenay 3 but haven't sown any yet. I sowed my second batch of Autumn King And Purple Haze on 27/3.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              That purple one is a beaut. My 7 year old DD is growing purple haze this year, haven't been sown yet, but soon.
              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

how are everyone's purple haze going? Mine are slooooowly getting bigger. I had to pull up this guy though as his..protrusion...was getting too big (ooh eer).

It did make me giggle though!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Kiwi_Soph; 13-07-2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Haven't tried them this year really - quite behind in pretty much everything.

I've recently sown some paris markeet or something. GN gave me them, short round type I think!

Comment

You comparing your Market with your Meerkat Chris?
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

sowed some in may,went to look at them last week and the slugs had gone past my usual carrots and devoured the purple haze ones,so i will buy some green type slug pellets and try again,i want to see if they taste as good as they look..

Comment

If you manage to grow some Buffs, which I'm sure you will, be careful how you cook them. They taste nice anyway, but steamed they keep more of their colour.
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I roasted ours, they stay purple and well, I love roasted carrot.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                            If you manage to grow some Buffs, which I'm sure you will, be careful how you cook them. They taste nice anyway, but steamed they keep more of their colour.
                            thanks for the info,they may be late crop now but am lifting last of tatties from tubs and i usually then sow them with carrots(1/2 dustbins,too tall for carrot rootfly)so 6 bins to sow,should get a fair few out of them...got my purple haze in wilko,havent seen them anywhere else..many thanks...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X