No announcement yet.

Seed sowing compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made compost is going to be full of weed seeds. Bought compost has already been sterilised
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Fair enough, but if you can recognise the seeds you've sown surely that wouldn't pose a problem. Just pluck out the weeds as and when they come up. It's got to be less hassle than microwaving compost little tupperware boxes at a time.

Comment

I'm thinking about being brave and using my own compost, particularly as I have some lovely loam to mix in after lifting the back lawn last year to make more room for veg.
        Is there a 'smug' smiley face on here?

Personally I've always thought 'seed compost was a bit of a con. You pay more for something that's 'less', ie compost with sand mixed in? Or am I wrong?

Still a wee mite fresh up here in the west of Scotland, although my window sills will be getting fuller very soon (cue annual argument with OH) :-)
        Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Comment

I don't use my home grown stuff for cutting seed I find it to rich. I use a mix of 50/50 old and new MPC which seems to work for me.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
            I don't use my home grown stuff for cutting seed I find it to rich. I use a mix of 50/50 old and new MPC which seems to work for me.

Colin
            I was hoping the loam would have done that for me, but I'll throw in some used compost for good measure!
            Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Comment

Our lottie shop sells Humax. I bought one sack of the seed compost (60ltrs) and a few of the MPC (75ltrs). £4.75 each

When I fill the modules, MPC fills the bottom 50%, then I put in some seed compost, then the seeds then top off with more seed compost. I know I'm not saving much, but it makes me feel as if I am.
              Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
              Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

I buy the cheapest mpc I can find, pick out the biggest lumps by hand and then sow... as another poster said, seeds have to make it in all conditions in the wild without any help from us - I sometimes think we molly-coddle things a bit too much. Although if I was paying £1 per seed I might think twice about this, yes!
                sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Maccabee View Post
                  if you can recognise the seeds you've sown surely that wouldn't pose a problem. Just pluck out the weeds
                  Yes, that's what I do. Lots of people don't know weedlings from seedlings though (yet). I use homemade leafmould in the bottom half of pots, then top with (sterile) MPC. I still get the odd determined weed (usually dead nettle) and, like you say, pluck them out
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I normally use whatever MPC I have to hand but this year picked up a bag of Homebase seed compost - nice fine stuff it is.
                    Last edited by Ian_5; 14-03-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by singleseeder View Post
                      When I fill the modules, MPC fills the bottom 50%, then I put in some seed compost, then the seeds then top off with more seed compost. I know I'm not saving much, but it makes me feel as if I am.
                      I'm doing this this year, especially for the bigger modules that the seedlings will be in for a bit longer. I have peat free B&Q Verve (which so far doesn't seem to be as bad as others have said) and (I think) Westland seed compost. They had an open bag and I was seduced by its looks. Normally I just use MPC. Beans and peas don't get seed compost - they get MPC only.

Verve peat-free MPC
                      http://kailyn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/SAM_0114-300x168.jpg
                      http://kailyn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/SAM_0108-300x168.jpg

Probably Westland seed compost on top of MPC
                      http://kailyn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/SAM_0106-300x168.jpg
                      Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                      Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

I use whatever is on offer at the time, if westlands is offering 3 for 2 then thats what the seeds are gonna get this time. Any big bits just go back on the compost heap to break down a little, and that will end up on the soil one way or another soon enough.
                        "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I like seed compost because it is generally finer and easier to fill small module trays with. This year I've used left-overs of last year's B&Q bag, New Horizon and Wilkos own brand. All very different- the B&Q one was very peaty, the NH very light/ fluffy (and once tamped down a little and watered, doesn't seem to go very far) and the Wilko one quite sandy. But everything seems to be germinating. I have had a couple of rogue seedlings in the Wilko one though.

Comment

New to potting up and I have picked up a couple of bags from Wilkos to give it a try. As you say Salome2001 it does seem kind of sandy with some big bits of soil in there but very easy to break up by hand.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X