5 days away.. can they be left?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 days away.. can they be left?

Hi everyone.. I am lucky enough to be heading away for a long weekend but am worried about leaving all my young tomato plants and seedlings on their own on the windowsill.

Can I leave the pots sitting in trays of water or will this cause me problems.

Any advice is very much welcomed as i would hate to come back to total wipe out

Cheers

Ally

I have a really sunny huge bay window which is drying out my pots in 3 days...so I'd be tempted to move them to a cool (but not cold) place. Or draw your curtains a bit to shade out the sun? Stand them in a little water, not lots?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Isnt there some kind of matting you can water and then leave this to water your plants? sorry for lack of info and knowledge....someone else will know now than me. Bernie aka Dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

put the pots on pebbles and fill the tray with water, move them out of direct sun, and put a clear plastic lid on them if you can (covering them with supported cling film may work) Turn the heating off/down!!! Pray for cloud???
        Good luck
        Last edited by madderbat; 22-03-2007, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Hi thanks for the tips. I have heard of the matting but as usual not left enough time to get some..I will try phoning around friends to see who will be passing the most and kindly twist their arm to do some checking.

Cheers

Alan

Comment

Would a towel do just as well? Half fill sink with water, drape towel over draining board and into bow - stand seedlings on towel.
            Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 22-03-2007, 08:39 PM. Reason: typo!

Comment

Hi Hazel

That may just be the answer to the dilema for me.. Will let you know if they survive.

Thanks

Ally

Comment

Hello Alan, I think for a few days your plants will be fine if you take a little care. I've just been away for a week and everything was fine. What I did was give everything a really good watering by standing the pots in water til thoroughly wet. Put them on north facing windowsills where the sun never shines. Left the heating on very low. Everything was absolutely fine when I came back. Enjoy your long weekend.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice and to everyone for the advice.. I wont fret and will enjoy my time away.

Ally

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                    Would a towel do just as well? Half fill sink with water, drape towel over draining board and into bow - stand seedlings on towel.
                    Good advice Hazel!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You can use wettened kitchen roll under each of the pots.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Or put an inch of water in the bath and stand the pots in there?

Comment

I'm doing exactly the same allyspark from next wednesday.

I was going to bring as many vulnerables in from the g/h and stick them on the east facing (no other choice) spare bed with all the toms that haven't gone outside yet.

was going to give them a good drink the morning i leave and just hope for the best. The room will be unheated so don't see them drying out, but i just hope they get enough light.
                          Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X