No announcement yet.

Two runner beans to one cane?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to grow one-per-cane, and raise them in modules. now I sow 2-seeds (chitted) per 3" pot, and plant out as one pot-per-cane (so two plants per cane), and I also sow another seed when I plant out, for a follow-on crop later in the season.
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Yes, i think Blanching is needed for long storage. Blanching destroys certain enzymes and bacteria whilst helping to preserve the colour, texture and flavour of the food. It also helps retain vitamin C. It only take a few minutes to blance in boiling water, cool in cold water, shake off excess water and lay on a try and open freeze. When frozen i bag up into 1lb bags, and put into a thick carrier bag in the freezer.
      Roger
      Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Iam so pleased to see this thread. I will be planting out extra beans tomorrow then

Comment

SWMBO used to blanch but we found it could sometimes make the bean mushy.

For the last number of years SWMBO has done exactly the same as BK which means I get to eat runners all year round.

The other thing I have noticed she does is to leave the beans till the last thing, the pan is then bought from cold to the boil and the beans served.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I also sow two to a station, but i grow mine in rootrainers first then plant out, pretty much guaranteed then.
            "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
              I used to grow one-per-cane, and raise them in modules. now I sow 2-seeds (chitted) per 3" pot, and plant out as one pot-per-cane (so two plants per cane), and I also sow another seed when I plant out, for a follow-on crop later in the season.
              Nice tip, Kristen.

Comment

The chap who had my allotment before me said he sowed two to a pole and the sometimes a third inbetween! So I don't think it matters so much! He did about 25 poles worth on my lottie and "borrowed" space on other lotties too for runners alone! Now there's a guy who like his beans!
                http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

I prefer them not blanched, they don't seem as tough without it. Going to try salting this year, talked about it last year but didn't do it.
                  nice tip on the third for a longer crop too.

Comment

My frozen beans always taste horrid, so now I pickle any excess
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for all the excellent tips... another day in the garden for me
                      http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

I may experiment with blanching, it's just time, I pref to wash and bung in the freezer! I've not noticed any difference in taste when frozen, but really since before then I've only ever bought frozen beans, so that's probably why!

I've gotta get started on mine, going to chit some now as I'm a bit behind.

Comment

I have always put 2 to a cane and plant a couple of extra seeds at the end of the row to replace any that fail. Seems to have worked fine (apart from last year when I had the grand total of 3 runner beans from 10 plants)

Comment

Like Kristen, I grow them in pots and put 2 per pot. Usually they both germinate and the whole pot goes by a cane. If only one comes up, I put 2 pots of one in.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I always used to grow two to a pole, now I grow just one. I found the yield about the same. But the single plants much healthier.
                              Whatever works best for you I think.
                              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Ditto.. we're still eating ours.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X