No announcement yet.

Tiny plot despair and plea and too many capital letters

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cheering, we're at a similar stage, thank you so much for words of encouragement/solidarity

Comment

I too only have a small patch of garden for growing veg (and there's only me and a teenager (girl) who eat it) - how about some pics Broadripple et al ? I love looking at other peoples gardens.

francesbean
      My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Sara View Post
        Potatoes in bags take a LOT of compost
        They can do, and it's expensive.
        This year I have a lot of my homemade leafmold (at last) and that has really eked out the mpc. I also earth up my spuds with grass clippings and chopped comfrey or borage leaves, that feeds the spuds whilst saving on mpc too.
        I think it was Alys Fowler who "earthed up" her spuds with shredded newspaper
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gan heather View Post
          Have you thought about "wall gardening" to give more space?
          I used to only have a small balcony to grow on (8' x 3') - I had a photo somewhere but can't locate it; it's possibly in one of my albums on here.
          I grew the usual salads in pots, plus made hanging baskets out of old 2, 3 or 5 litre water bottles (the bigger the better: less watering). I suspended them from a cradle that I crocheted, but you could construct similar just by knotting some twine around & above the pop bottle. I put a used teabag in the hole to stop the compost falling out.

You could attach some batten then metal mesh to a wall so that you can wire some plant pots onto it. Pots take a lot of watering though, so make use of water retaining granules and/or shredded washing up sponges
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Jono, what kind of quantity of pea-plants do you put in containers, and how much do they produce? Mine have been pathetic and I don't know whyyyyyyyyyyy...

oh, and which varieties do you use?

Comment

Broadripple,

I grow peas in containers at SWMBos insistence. 2 containers with about 50 plants in each.

I have to be honest and say if you are short of space I would not grow peas. The harvest unless you grow tall varieties is not that great per square foot of space used.

I grow Kelverton Wonder it grows about 2`6" high but at least this year I shall get 2 plantings as it can be used as an early and late sowing.

Colin
              Attached Files
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

hello - very useful thank you. I was suspecting something along those lines...very impressive containers btw! how big are they? they look HUGE!

Comment

They are quite big each one is 3ft x 2ft like I say a lot of space for not a large crop.

If you grow peas in containers I think it is for more of a treat than a food crop.

Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X