No announcement yet.

liming

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicos, I just read in Joy Larkcom’s book that you should only aim to alter your plot's pH ratio by 0.5 each year this would stop too big a swing from year to year. Joy recommends the gradual process method of using organic compost, leafmold and farmyard manure to open up the soil and change its over all make up. Joy also recommends using green manures as a temporary measure between crops.
    Jax

Comment

Strange thing is....we have had the most productive and quality crops from this plot ever - compared with the old clay based plots. In the summer, the soil is like potting compost and winter digging is a doddle! The only part which needs watering is the greenhouse and as it's a light,water-retentive soil the old guys only recall having to use their wells (!) twice in 30 yrs. It's in the middle of the countryside 5 mins from our house. The only down side is the occasional noise from the airport, depending on wind direction. Wouldn't swap it for the world With a little tlc we should have an even greater bumper crop of weeds!!! Maybe we just need to made up for the past few years of lack of care I knew the veg would be fine, I was just a little concerned about the fruits as we are both new to growing anything other than blackcurrants and strawberries. As my father used to say....If a job is worth doing ...do it properly!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

People worry about fruit too much, fruit is easier than veg, you feed it once established, twice a year and watch for bugs (like veg), water well in the first year (especially trees) and they will do the rest, just give them a good start with manure, blood, fish and bone and good compost.
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Have just finished liming the plot and have suddenly gone grey!!!(health and safety issue I'm sure!) . had a great idea...? and decided to take the pH of the water table as it was only 6ins below the surface! ..6.5!! well pleased as I hope this is probably a more accurate general reading ?? Actually have no idea if it is more accurate but it certainly seems more reasonable!! Anyone out there who can help me on this?? Also I have heard/read you should not lime and muck at the same time. Is this correct and if so...why?? All I can think of is that the lime might stop the uric acid in the manure from helping it rot down....Any ideas??
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It is not a good idea to apply lime and manure at the same time, as a reaction between the two can release nitrogen from the soil.
            Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X