Cucumber Alert

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    Today, they are saying that the strain of e coli found in the Spanish cucumbers is not the strain making people ill in Germany
    Nevertheless, I gave a cucumber each to 2 neighbours last night, and by the expression on their faces, think they probably are bound for the bin
    Last edited by Davyburns; 01-06-2011, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Taff, the problem with something like this is the public need to know the facts and quickly, the death toll is rising daily and it could be a lot worse if the people wern't informed at all. Head in the sand in a case like this is not an option.

It would appear that it is not the reporters who have made a mistake (unusual I know) but the authorities.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well this goes from bad to worse, now its cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce to be avoided in Germany.

They say this strain is a new mutant form of E-Coli never seen before and it is very virulent affecting all age groups.

Am I glad my salads are coming from my garden.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm not saying put your head in the sand, I'm saying read it, and think about it, before you decide that it's this thing or that thing.
          wash your veg thoroughly, wash your hands, wash everything..

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
            Well this goes from bad to worse, now its cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce to be avoided in Germany.

They say this strain is a new mutant form of E-Coli never seen before and it is very virulent affecting all age groups.

Am I glad my salads are coming from my garden.

Colin

It is an interesting topic, Colin.

E. Coli happily lives in the stomach of humans and other animals, such as cows, and they are expelled with the animal waste that we call Cow Manure.

We then happily spread this manure and the E. Coli onto our plots and eat the veg that comes from it. Composting the manure at HIGH temperatures can kill some or all of the E. Coli.

E. Coli is killed by cooking the veg containing E. Coli.

None of the articles I have read have indicated whether the E. Coli is inside or outside the veg.

If the contamination is outside the veg then washing will get rid of most of it.

If the contamination is inside the veg then only cooking will work.

Somewhat worryingly, I have seen recommendations that anyone visiting Germany cooks all veg before eating whch leads me to think the E. Coli is suspected of being inside the veg !!!
            The proof of the growing is in the eating.
            Leave Rotten Fruit.
            Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
            Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
            Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

The so called experts have said that two strains of E-Coli have mutated into a much more dangerous strain. In all honesty at this time they appear a little lost (not suprising if its never been seen before).

If we are to believe what we read we have 16 people dead and 1600 very ill including 9 in the UK.

We humans think we are to some extent invincible then nature gives a kick in the pants.

I think you may be correct about the bacterium being in the veg as it would seem nearly all salad foods are of the menu.

Lets just hope for the people that are ill the authorities get on the top side of it sharpish.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

We're off to Germany end of next month and DH is vegetarian. Hopefully things will have improved by then. We usually take our own food in one of those great big ice boxes that keep things frozen for up to 5 days then buy the veg over there. Time for a slight rethink. Am hoping my cucs on allotment might have started producing by then so will take some over, plus might sow some more lettuce with a view to taking some.

Comment

At least while waiting for our own cucs to grow the shops are selling theirs off cheap. Hopefully the other fruit and veg will follow as the supermarkets end up with a glut on their hands. (Has anyone mentioned E. coli in strawberries yet???)

Comment

As I understand it the government advise is if you go to Germany do not eat cumbers, tomatoes or leaves with particular reference to lettuce, they say cooked veg is fine.

Think I would try and take my own salad if at all possible.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I always told The OH that a carnivorous diet was more healthy

Comment

Originally posted by Kittypickle View Post
                        We're off to Germany end of next month and DH is vegetarian. Hopefully things will have improved by then. We usually take our own food in one of those great big ice boxes that keep things frozen for up to 5 days then buy the veg over there. Time for a slight rethink. Am hoping my cucs on allotment might have started producing by then so will take some over, plus might sow some more lettuce with a view to taking some.
                        I just got back from Germany last night and I managed to find (some) stuff to eat - and I'm a veggie.

We went over for a festival and, as we were backpacking, we couldn't really bring our own food so ate out most of the time. Many of the restaurants we ate at apologised before we had even seen a menu and said that there were no cucumbers, tomatoes or bean sprouts in stock as they just couldn't order them, this seemed to get more common the further north we went. We mainly just tried to eat cooked stuff but the odd bit of lettuce got through and we are fine (crossed fingers!)

To be honest, people seem more freaked out by it here than in Germany. We were getting frantic texts from our mothers telling us what not to eat but the bars and cafes and their patrons were just taking it in their stride. Fresh veggies were hard-ish to find, but I really wouldn't get overly worried, the soft fruit is still on sale and everywhere - EVERYWHERE - had fresh Spargel (white asparagus).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X