No announcement yet.

Black spots on pepper stem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The second option is doable Two_Sheds, although they only get a few hours direct light in there so I wonder if they'd be better off under a piece of polycarbonate outdoors?

Comment

OK, so they are at the moment travelling between the conservatory and outside. Where are you going to put them to fruit? Permanent quarters?

Comment

The plan was to leave them in the garden eventually.

Comment

In big pots? Or in the garden itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Vagetarian View Post
            The plan was to leave them in the garden eventually.
            That's doable if you can give them a south-facing suntrap. I usually can grow cayenne outside on the lotty, but last year (cool & wet from July-Sept) the whole crop failed to ripen (or even fruit, most of them)
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              In big pots? Or in the garden itself?
              I bought 10L pots for them, the garden is entirely slabbed and decked.

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              That's doable if you can give them a south-facing suntrap. I usually can grow cayenne outside on the lotty, but last year (cool & wet from July-Sept) the whole crop failed to ripen (or even fruit, most of them)
              They've got the sun trap. I'm only really putting them out on the warmer days, if I have to carry on like that I will. My conservatory isn't quite a proper one as it has solid walls so there isn't a lot of direct light.

Comment

That's good then, sun trap on sunny days (that'll be tomorrow hopefully). You're a bit north of me so probably even cooler?
                Mine are in the gh (unheated, but very warm in the summer), in 6" pots stood on gravel trays for watering/feeding.

This year's plants haven't started to ripen yet although I've got a few green ones coming, although I've had 5 red ones off my overwintered Cherry Bomb, and half a dozen red toms already
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-06-2011, 08:49 AM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You really do need to put them in slightly bigger pots asap. If you stand the pots in a seed tray they're easy enough to carry around.

Comment

Thank you both for your advice. I am slightly north of you, Two_Sheds. I will carry on as I am then, outside on the hot days and inside on the rainy days, unless I find some scraps of polycarbonate in the mean time to make a cold frame out of. Or an automatic roof opener for the conservatory

I am going to pot them on this afternoon and try to find something to cover the tops of the pots with so if they do get caught in a shower they won't be over watered. I have grow bag trays for bottom watering which I can fill with water and gravel and I think I have some scraps of ply/MDF to carry them on.

I think my chilli peppers must be starting to ripen as the fruits stopped growing a while ago, the Hungarian yellow wax are a fairly close second and the bells are all now starting to fruit. I don't think I'm doing too badly but I want to do that best that is possible. This is my first year after all and I'm probably way overexcited about it.

Comment

Vagetarian, why don't you buy one of the cheap blowaway greenhouses to put your chillies in for the mo. You can get them for around £10 and will at least give them a bit of shelter.

Comment

Well, I've now got 12 plants in 10L pots so it would need to be a fairly big one...

I'll have to keep carrying them in and out for now, it's not really that big of a problem. I will make myself a nice big cold frame type thing however.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X