Split Garlic Dilemma

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Garlic Dilemma

About two thirds of the garlic has split, ie burst out of the outer skin. I had a lot do this last year and from what I could find, it meant I had left them too long/or a result of irregular watering. I used a lot of the split ones for planting in the autumn, as I didn't think they'd store well. Now I'm wondering if this is why so many have split again, because I've passed on a genetic defect - or is it just because of the lack of rain?

What I can't decide is whether to re-plant the split ones but deeper (as recommended by site veteran/guru) so they don't suffer so much from lack of water or use the non split ones. But if I use the non-split ones, will the split ones store? Anyone have any experience with this? Advice much appreciated, thanks for reading

I dont think id replant them as i guess the cloves will be small,which will lead to small bulbs next year.
    They might keep for a while i not certain,but i would defo get new stock in for replanting

Comment

Thanks for the reply, actually the cloves are quite big as are the bulbs.
      Last edited by Shadylane; 08-07-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

The outer ones should store; just break them off and pop them in a ceramic plant pot and use them first. i keep them in the kitchen.

It usually means that the harvest is too late, so they have carried on growing. Try sowing a few more than you need and pull one a month and two months before you usually pull them, and if they are ready pull the rest and then the skins shouldn't have broken and 'released' the outer ones.

Comment

Cheers for that Zazen, will give that a try

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X