Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reusing compost..roots?

have just harvested all 39 bulbs of garlic

They were growing in pots and I have now emptied out the compost to mix with some new stuff and add some Bf&B to re-use in new beds. There are masses of fine matted roots, do I separate those out and bung in garden rubbish, or keep them in to add a bit of bulk?

Mmmm. Dunno if this is 100% right. But I'd try to remove as much of the root system as possible and bung it into the compost heap to break down. I don't think it would cause too much of a problem but why make life difficult for new plants who are trying to establish a root system of their own?
    Just my thoughts really. Someone else will confirm.
    Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Comment

I empty the pots onto the soil and dig it in. Whether thats the right thing to do i'm not sure but I've not had any problems with it.
      My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've reused mine this year and last year. I take out the bigger clumps of root but I don't worry about it too much, so far its worked okay

Comment

TA! I'll just compost a bit and dig in the rest...
          I liek it when things are simple

Comment

If anything needs rotting down (lumps and that) it utilises nitrogen, nitrogen that could be used to feed your new plants.

Add the lumps to the compost heap
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I reuse as much of my compost as I can, first I riddle it to remove roots etc then add BFB or grow more as a base fertilizer. All the roots go in my dalek.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X