Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rabbit & Chicken droppings in compost bin?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbit & Chicken droppings in compost bin?

Hi
    I have just got some chickens and rabbits at the allotment.
    Can I use their droppings along with the straw to put in the compost bin. It seems a shame to waste it if it can be used to enrich the soil.
    Many thanks
    Michelle.

Absolutely! The chicken droppings will act as an accelerator. Magnificent stuff, lucky you! My OH won't let me keep chickens
    My accelerator comes from an entirely more personal source.
    Last edited by mrpaulbradley; 10-07-2011, 02:32 PM.
    Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Comment

Wonderful stuff, composts really well and gives a good balance to the compost. Just make sure it's well mixed in works best then.
      Plot06, Rochdale

Comment

Haha Mrpaulbradley!

I would do that myself but I would be frightened of falling off.

I am glad about being able to add it to compost because I have got 3 compost bins to keep going.

Comment

Yes, it'll be great for your compost. Poo from any vegetarian animal is fine, it's poo from the meat eating ones that shouldn't be used.

Comment

all my chicken's droppings (and belieive me theres a lot) along with all the bedding (hempcore) goes onto the compost heap and when that get too full I leave it in black bags its marvellous stuff and I can really tell the difference in the areas I havent yet used it on
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X