Sungold - bit dissapointed!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    Definitely save the seeds of any tom that you like ... they usually come true (well mine did)
    Well, if they don't I'll be giving Flummery a run for her money! Without the poking around the boy & girl bits

Comment

Chris, I don't want to teach my granny to suck eggs but if you have not grown Sungold before they first go a yellow colour and then a deep rich gold have you picked them to early?

As to quantity mine are at 6 trusses about 20 toms per truss.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
        ... we had a little flourish about a month ago, acouple here and there and at the moment there's maybe a handful of green ones.
        Mine have slowed right down now, we've had cold winds & thick cloud cover for several weeks now. Everything has slowed down, but the PW French Black & the Auntie Madges are trying hard
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
          Chris, I don't want to teach my granny to suck eggs but if you have not grown Sungold before they first go a yellow colour and then a deep rich gold have you picked them to early?

As to quantity mine are at 6 trusses about 20 toms per truss.

Colin
          Hehe no worries, not grown them before nope.. The first one I picked was a bit under-ripe, but I was egar to taste. The others were better, are are a lovely orange colour and give when squeezed, pretty sure that they're ripe now. I've probably the same amount per truss, must count those red cherries though, they're abundant!

Comment

More tangy toms to try next year then, thanks

Comment

Tomatoes and a very individual taste variety wise for people hence the following :

try seeing how many varieties of toms are registered with the EU (never mind all the heritage varieties that are kept alive by caring people.... you'll be shocked!

EDIT: post made no sense before edit....
              Last edited by RedThorn; 30-07-2011, 01:52 AM.
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I have been disappointed all round with sun gold by comparrison with other varieties. I found the growth habit and productivity poor and while I do like sweet tomatos the flavour is not all it is cracked up to be. Yes, nice and sweet, but not special!

Comment

Yes, on reflection I should have stopped the sungolds from their greenhouse takeover bid, too late now. It's my forst year with a greenhouse, and yes I crammed too many in . But think I will go back to growing the cherries outside, I think there are better toms for the greenhouse. The other downer is that because my watering is a bit erratic, they can split really easily, but I find that a problem with all the cherries.
                  hey ho, next year here we come
                  http://promenadeplantings.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yes mine took over as well ,I think they taste quite nice so I will try them outside next year,my marmande didn`t do too well this year so will keep the room for maskarena beefsteaks that were first to ripen,are huge and taste quite good as well i am getting loads off them now.

Comment

I was starting to regret growing Moneymaker again this year after all the bad reviews... However, with 8 to 10 superb sized and flavoured fruits per truss and 6 trusses per plant ... I'm happy!

Fried in olive oil with home grown basil and garlic has made a good start to Sunday!

Comment

Tomatoes need full sun to develop full taste. I have a sungold out on the lottie (under cover) which gets full sun and the tomatoes are packed with flavour. I also have a sungold in the greenhouse in the garden and because of the position only gets sun till midday and the fruits are quite tasteless.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by rana View Post
                          I have been disappointed all round with sun gold ....growth habit and productivity poor
                          Originally posted by 1066 View Post
                          Sungold ... the plant is on a take-over bid of the greenhouse
                          Two completely different views! I haven't found Sungold to be much different in growth to my other cordons: they all try to take over the gh and I'm nipping out armpits every other day from all of them

I haven't yet managed to get a ripe Sungold into the kitchen ... because I scoff them all before I get out the gh. I'm not sharing !

Last year I found Golden Gem to be a better taste and they didn't split, but this year I neglected to sow any (I was a bit overwhelmed with tomatoes tbh, and some of them are still in their 3" pots)
                          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-08-2011, 07:37 AM.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My Gardeners Delight were first to produce a few ripe tomatoes, followed by a single Moneymaker but my Sungolds are now tearing away and producing loads of ripe fruit. I'm surprised by the people who haven't found them productive. They are the most productive I've grown. The only thing is they sometimes all ripen before the end of the season.
                            I'm also growing Costaluto Genovese, Rose de Berne and Ailsa Craig. They have all set some good trusses of fruit and I'm looking forward to those ripening soon as well. Sungolds are sweet so I like to have a selection of tomatoes in a salad to provide interest and balance.

Comment

I lost one of my moneymakers today The weight of the fruits broke the cane and ties which resulted in the stem snapping in half at the base! Green tomato chutney time!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X