mystery squash identification - help please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sacrificed on kitchen table......

This is the lamb so to speak.....does it help shed any light on the summer / winter identification issue?? The skin is quite tough - it passed the thumb nail test but as you can see there's not much flesh and tons of seeds!
    Attached Files

Comment

Winter squash picked early tend to be bland with an underdeveloped flavour.

Ian

Comment

looks like a winter one, to me, one that still needs to fatten up and ripen

Comment

I'm thinking Winter but no idea what variety

Reet
          x

Comment

Thanks all. I plan to cut off any new fruits that appear in the hope that will boost those already there and have also removed a few leaves to let the sun in. Fingers crossed and I'll feedback the taste test later in the season!

Comment

If you can describe the shape of stem where is attaches to the fruit I can put it into a squash species for you,that will cut the options down and help a bit. I can think of a couple like that.

XX Jeannine

Comment

Originally posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
                If you can describe the shape of stem where is attaches to the fruit I can put it into a squash species for you,that will cut the options down and help a bit. I can think of a couple like that.

XX Jeannine
                Seriously? Wow. I've never thought of being able to identify a species by it's stem - that's pretty impressive.

Reet
                x

Comment

That sounds impressive - the original picture (first note on thread) shows it still attached to the vine - is that enough to aid ID or do you need a longer stem shot - maybe a leaf??

Comment

Squash fall into six species, each species has a diiferent stem, leaf, and seed characteristics, it is possible to identify a growing squash by the differences, it will not identify a speciifc squash however but it does cut down the options. Only four are commonly grown in the home garden

MAXIMA varieties have very long vines,huge HAIRY leaves and soft round spongy hairy stems.eg are all the Hubbards, the Buttercups, and the Bananas.

MIXTA varieties have spreading vines,large HAIRY leaves,the fruits stem which flares out only slightly where it attaches to the fruit is hard,hairy and slightly angular,the leaves are slightly lighter green than some others and havea rounded leaf tipand hardly any indentations on their sides.Eg are the most of the cushaws.

MOSCHATA varieties have spreading vinew,and large HAIRY leaves,the fruit stem which flares out quite noticeably where it attaches to the fruit is hard, hairy and slightly angular.The flower has large leafy green sepals at the base.The leaves are are a slightly darker green than mixta and have a pointed leaf tip and slight indentations along their sides.egthe butternuts,futtsus,trombones.

PEPO varieties have PRICKLY leaves,and stems,the fruits stem is hard and has five sharply angled sides, it is the most widely grown species and includes all the summer squash, courgettes,acorns,marrows,spaghetti and many of the pumpkins.

All species of squash only cross within their own species so a butternut will not cross with a marrow etc.

If you look carefully at the plant you have, especially the stem you should be able to put it into one of the above, don't confuse hairy with prickly, if you have a courgette growing feel the leaves and you will see just how prickly it is.

If you can identify it into one of the above I can perhaps help you further.

XX Jeannine

Comment

I should add that many of the decorative gourds also belong to the PEPO species,the hard shelled gourds don't, so it is very possible that it is one of those especially considering it was in a mixed packet..many of them are warty and several are this shape.

Comment

Jeannine Anne - that's fabulously detailed. I have a horrible feeling it is indeed a decorative gourd which is such a waste of good manure I will count the sides to the stem next allotment visit - looking at the pic 5 looks about right. Are there any additional checks to make the distinction between ornamental and edible?

Comment

No, if it is a pepo and one of the gourds there is no difference with the foliage or stem etc than there would be with say a courgette.

XX Jeannine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X