No announcement yet.

Tomato Plants dying

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DB I doubt BFB would kill your toms even if applied with a heavy hand. It is a slow release general fertilizer and the plants would only take up what they need.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      DB I doubt BFB would kill your toms even if applied with a heavy hand. It is a slow release general fertilizer and the plants would only take up what they need.

Colin
      Its the only common denominator. Everything I top dressed died, everything I didnt didnt, even my toms in baskets outside

Comment

If that is the case then I would suspect a contaminated packet of BFB unless you have used it on other plants without ill effect. I use a lot of BFB to revitalise my compost, never bother with specific measurements and have never had any bad effects.

Certainly if you have not used it on any other plants at this time then I would bin the box and buy fresh.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I used all off it, and dont intend buying any more. I was really heavy handed with it, nearly a pound of it went into each Morrisons bucket.

Comment

Whoops now that is heavy handed.

Don't let it put you BFB though it's a damn good fertilizer.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Davyburns View Post
              I used all off it, and dont intend buying any more. I was really heavy handed with it, nearly a pound of it went into each Morrisons bucket.
              O my, a teaspoon or 2 would probably have been enough

Comment

If the botrytis has got the stems of your plants, and there are fruits ripening further up the plant, you might be able to persuade them to limp along for a bit longer... Get some kitchen towel, fold a couple of pieces up into a pad, wrap them round the affected bit of stem, and tie them on quite tightly with string. Make sure the whole patch is covered so that the spores can't escape. That works to keep the stem quite dry, and the mould needs moisture to keep growing. It won't work if the mould has gone right round or through the stem, but it should on any patches. It's not a fix that will last forever, but might be long enough...
                Make sure you remove every last leaf that has a 'splotch' on it though, they can't be rescued.
                Last edited by SarzWix; 20-08-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your replies to this, unfortunately I had to ditch the lot of them as they were too far gone, so maybe next year I will try again. Maybe try less than six this time might just try 4, and keep the greenhouse well ventilated, after I scrub it down with a good cleaner for next year!!

Comment

Hard luck Craig, hope you do better next year, it's all a learning curve so don't be too disappointed.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Craigw02 View Post
                      Thanks guys for all your replies to this, unfortunately I had to ditch the lot of them as they were too far gone, so maybe next year I will try again. Maybe try less than six this time might just try 4, and keep the greenhouse well ventilated, after I scrub it down with a good cleaner for next year!!
                      ***** Fluid and a sulphur smoke bomb - ensure your greenhouse is empty. Good luck for next time!
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I had botrytus on a couple of plants this year. I removed as much leaf material as possible and then smeared a thin layer of Vic's vapour rub over the affected area. Within a few days the area was no longer producing spores and didn't spread any further.

I also heard that a thin layer of honey does the trick as well but I didn't get a chance to try it.
                        Last edited by Lotsaveg; 23-08-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

My toms got botrytis last year, when I rammed 9 plants into a 6'x6' greenhouse. This year I've only got 6 plants in, and have left the door wide open for maximum ventilation. So far so good. It seems to be caused by too much humidity and not enough air flow.
                          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I've got botrytis in bot my greenhouses. It's my own fault though for cramming too many plants in the greenhouses. I've been snipping off leaves as I see them and sprayed everything with bordeaux mixture this week. It seems to have helped but only time will tell.
                            I do Charity Wild food walks. Check out www.msitu.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                              botrytis .... It seems to be caused by too much humidity and not enough air flow.
                              Now my outside basket has it too: there's definitely enough airflow
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X