What do I feed my veg???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
    Thanks Snadger. was having trouble with the P ...sign of ageing!
    Don't know, you seem to manage alright in the watering can from what you say!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

have loads of lemon balm at lottie.what is it usefull for?as i got confused!g
      goddess

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
        Foxgloves?...digitalis......Very,Very poisonous...from these warferrin(sp)...thins the blood...also used to make rat poison...death by massive internal heamorrage..pretty but leave them alone i'd say.
        also used to be used as dye many years agosuprized mrd hasent siad that
        Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
        Dobby

Comment

For the medically minded and because flummery is right.This is what my friend sent to me

---Medicinal Action and Uses---Digitalis has been used from early times in heart cases. It increases the activity of all forms of muscle tissue, but more especially that of the heart and arterioles, the all-important property of the drug being its action on the circulation. The first consequence of its absorption is a contraction of the heart and arteries, causing a very high rise in the blood pressure.

After the taking of a moderate dose, the pulse is markedly slowed. Digitalis also causes an irregular pulse to become regular. Added to the greater force of cardiac contraction is a permanent tonic contraction of the organ, so that its internal capacity is reduced, which is a beneficial effect in cases of cardiac dilatation, and it improves the nutrition of the heart by increasing the amount of blood.

In ordinary conditions it takes about twelve hours or more before its effects on the heart muscle is appreciated, and it must thus always be combined with other remedies to tide the patient over this period and never prescribed in large doses at first, as some patients are unable to take it, the drug being apt to cause considerable digestive disturbances, varying in different cases. This action is probably due to the Digitonin, an undesirable constituent.

The action of the drug on the kidneys is of importance only second to its action on the circulation. In small or moderate doses, it is a powerful diuretic and a valuable remedy in dropsy, especially when this is connected with affections of the heart.

It has also been employed in the treatment of internal haemorrhage, in inflammatory diseases, in delirium tremens, in epilepsy, in acute mania and various other diseases, with real or supposed benefits.

The action of Digitalis in all the forms in which it is administered should be carefully watched, and when given over a prolonged period it should be employed with caution, as it is liable to accumulate in the system and to manifest its presence all at once by its poisonous action, indicated by the pulse becoming irregular, the blood-pressure low and gastro-intestinal irritation setting in. The constant use of Digitalis, also, by increasing the activity of the heart, leads to hypertrophy of that organ.

Digitalis is an excellent antidote in Aconite poisoning, given as a hypodermic injection.

When Digitalis fails to act on the heart as desired, Lily-of-the-Valley may be substituted and will often be found of service.

In large doses, the action of Digitalis on the circulation will cause various cerebral symptoms, such as seeing all objects blue, and various other disturbances of the special senses. In cases of poisoning by Digitalis, with a very slow and irregular pulse, the administration of Atropine is generally all that is necessary. In the more severe cases, with the very rapid heart-beat, the stomach pump must be used, and drugs may be used which depress and diminish the irritability of the heart, such as chloral and chloroform.

Preparations of Digitalis come under Table II of the Poison Schedule.

And I still wouldn't be stewing it up and sloshing it about.
          Last edited by Paulottie; 15-05-2007, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Blimey! I just look at and admire mine! Still amazes me what a huge influence plants have on medicine. Thanks for all that Paul (or Paul's friend!)
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice folks, veryinteresting and informative! To clarify something for a newbi, since I only have a small plot and lots of new topsoil on there, other than the toms in growbags would I be okay just throwing a couple of handfuls of growmore around my baby veg?
              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I should think that will be fine moggssue but consider digging in some manure in autumn or possibly growing a green manure this winter to dig in in spring and make some compost and/or leafmould to use as a mulch next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  Blimey! I just look at and admire mine! Still amazes me what a huge influence plants have on medicine. Thanks for all that Paul (or Paul's friend!)
                  Yeah Flum, I think its an art that is been largely lost and we are also in danger of cutting down half the worlds plants without realising their possible benefits. I am facinated by the medicinal uses of plants for us and our vegetables and livestock. I don't know if LJ et al would consider a sub-forum somewhere but I don't want to dilute this thread too much.

Comment

Thanks Paulottie, I'll add some manure as soon as the plot is clear in the autumn, before attempting some later crops maybe.
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Fair point LJ; but then if I have managed to stop one grape poisoning themselves in this case surely it is a positive thing? Really it is only a short step from free food and the possibilities of mistakenly poisoning yourself for a meal (eg. similarities between chervil and hemlock, or the dangers of mixing incaps with alcahol) Also, and especially if you have children, it is important responsibility as a gardener to know your poisonous plants.

I do, however, accept that The Vine could not be advocating self- medication. My apologies, i'm not sure that I meant to suggest/imply that.

Comment

I agree Lesley - it's a subject with such potential danger. Depending on when in its lifecycle (or even in the day) a plant is harvested the active ingredient level can be dramatically different. Not for the amateur! It's like taking a random handful of your prescribed medicine rather than counting out your pills. It's the pharmacy for me every time! I do think though, of the dangers of loss of biodiversity. We could be losing plants which are the potential source of poweful medicines.
                        Last edited by Flummery; 16-05-2007, 09:08 AM. Reason: Added a bit.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Do comfrey and nettle tea have the same elements or are they different? If different which is best suited to different areas/plants of the allotment and also where is best to combine the two? Or do you just get both on everything?!

This is a very interesting thread and as I've discovered wild comfrey growing right next to my allotment along with the abundance of nettles i'll be giving it a go. A bit more advice would be very welcome.
                          http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think you'll find comfrey is marginally better for fruiting plants while nettle has a slightly higher nitrogen content for leafy stuff (and your plants' immunity to disease and pests)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X