Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lettuce between raspberry canes ?

hi
    would it be ok to plant a row of little gem lettuce between rows of raspberry canes. there is about a foot and a half between the canes
    http://johndebs.piczo.com/

I see no reason why not, especially if you intend to use them as a stop-crop. By the time you raspberries are fruiting, the lettuces would have been harvested anyway.

Comment

No idea- but don't raspberries have shallow roots and might therefore be in competition for nutrients and water??
      Just a thought!
      Last edited by Nicos; 02-04-2007, 08:33 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have put garlic between my raspberries and did'nt seem to have any adverse effect.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Raspberries are very shallow rooting and to avoid damage sow your lettice right in the centre, also, I suggest you harvest the lettice by cutting them and leaving the roots in the ground not pulling them up.
          It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

I am not sure I follow. Centre of where, Grandpadragon? Do you mean halfway between the canes? Surely with 45cm between canes from summer fruiting and 60cm for autumn fruiting, going halfway should be adequate...

But now you have me worried as I was planning to plant some daffodils and snow bells between the canes this coming autumn.

Comment

For my tuppence... It is true that rasps have shallow roots. It is never a good idea to dig close by, but I inherited two rows that were full of couch and bindweed. I did manage to kill a few -as it was impossible to clean them without removal and replanting in sections. It has taken 4 years to end up with 2 rows (now fairly clean) but with that we have had enough rasps despite these upheavels.

I really don't see that a few early little gems would threaten your plants.Jaydeb- Did you mean spaces between plants or rows? It is a good idea to cut, not pull, them and place them as far away as geometrically poss. but if its only 18" between rows, not plants, how are you going to pick your rasps without treading on the lettuce? I continually sow a few lettuce in modules and then dot the plugs about wherever I can- avoids the gluts.

Comment

hi
                thanx for all your replies
                http://johndebs.piczo.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X