Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crops For Injecting Colour - Grow Your Own Wants Your Advice!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be doing Lablab beans again this year - great dark pinky flowers and purpley pods

Comment

Red Beard onions, grow lovely in a small space and with an abundance of colour and tomatoes, such as tigerella and basinga are a glory to watch ripen, and french bean blauhilde, great flowers and dark purple pods.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Bright Lights

Bright Lights is a wonderful addition of colour I intend to grow this crop in my front garden this year after seeing it growing in the kitchen gardens of chatsworth house. I am curious to know more about this plant as some call it swiss chard and others call it leaf beet why ?

Comment

Thanks Phil.

Comment

Green, orange, red, yellow,black and stripy tomatoes!!!!

Comment

purple (violleta ) artichoke make very attractive plants ,has both colour and structure which is worth growing even if you are not keen on the taste.Ialso was lucky enough to vist Monet Gardens in Giverny near Paris in France where Nustarsiams take centre stage,it's grown on both sides of a path and left to rumble un disturbed ,all flowers leaves and seedpods are edible(they can be pickled like caprers)and the plants are good for the wildlife.g
              goddess

Comment

I am trying for my first year Bright Light Swiss Chard. I see it in the Mag and thought it looked great with all the colours.

I am also trying Yellow Goldfinger climbing beans, and Black Blauhilde climbing beans as they stood out at me when I walked past them in the garden centre seed area.

Its always nice to have a splash of colour when you walk onto your plot rather than seeing brown and green everywhere. However I can not wait until I see my rows of flowers from my peas & beans and hope that will give a little lift in spirit as I walk along thinking about how my back will hurt from hoeing (even before I have started)

Comment

Bright Lights Chard is fab, give it plenty of room though!

Comment

Let Lollo Rosso Lettuce bolt, it becomes a most amazing and unusual plant, and many people dont realise what it is.
                    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Last year I grew red sprouts (Falstaff) which were lovely flavoured and put a bit of colour on the plot over winter when all else seemed greens. I also grew a variety of dwarf beans which had lilac,white, and red flowers, and 1 of the beans had yellow pods (sungold). This year I'm also growing dark purple climbing french beans(blauhilde), swiss chard (bright lights), rainbow radishes, 'popcorn' corn which looks like big raspberries, and an assortment of melons & squashes and some flowers. I grow lots of fruit too so it should look lovely.

Comment

beetroot leaves look great, my mum plants them in the flower border for interesting colour through the summer!
                        http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

Chives- interesting leaves and pretty purple flowers- 101 uses!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Has anyone mentioned purple cabbage?

Comment

Red curly kale too! Would look fab with red an orange nasturtiums and lasts through the winter too.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

We plant red cabbages (in fact they're the only cabbages we grow!), red onions, i'll try the red brussels sprouts again this year, red tomatoes.... (anyone seeing a 'red' theme going on here....?!!)

Also a wildflower area across the plot (established last year) to encourage beneficial insects and bring some colour in. I'm trying a cutting patch this year too - dahlias grown from seed, and i was given 3 chrsanths last weekend by a neighbouring plot holder so it'll be interesting to see what they are like.

I've grown nasturtiams before and they do look fab, but they were inedible due to the caterpillars which were gorging on them - oh well, at least somone enjoyed them!
                                There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                                Happy Gardening!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X