toms - grow bag or seed compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toms - grow bag or seed compost?

Planning on potting on my 10 tumbler tom plants tonight, but wondering what to put them in. They are currently in 1" square trays, and I'll be moving them on to 3" pots. However, should I use more seed compost, or go straight for the grow bag compost that I will eventually be planting them out in ?

I'd go for the growbag compost. You don't get much nourishment in seed compost and it could probably do with enough to see it through to either planting up in the greenhouse or potting on a second time depending on what conditions (warmth) you can offer it. My recently potted up toms (to 3" pots) are in a general purpose compost now. They will eventually be in the greenhouse border, the veg beds or big pots. Those going outside will need another pot size before they get 'banished'.
    Last edited by Flummery; 03-04-2007, 06:36 PM.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Growbag or multipurpose compost for potting on. Please don't overpot. 1" to 3" should be fine. You may need to use extra feed later on (I find liquid is best) just to keep them looking good. You're supposed to leave tomato plants in 3 or 3 and a half pots until they've formed the first flower truss, otherwise they just keep producing lots of leaves and no flowers (and therefore fruit)

Comment

That makes sense rustylady- i think i've heard the same- but how do you stop them drying out in 20 mins? I had real trouble last year, in the end I planted the lot early cos I got fed up with watering in that drought.

Comment

I've heard that too but planting them out earlier doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on my crops in the past. May depend on variety?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X