X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toms

i sowed me tomatoe seeds 3 weeks ago and up until today have seen nothing
    they are in a unheated greenhouse,
    i know its been cold then warm then cold again today in southern england but surely something should be germinating
    the seeds are Matina, moneymaker,shirley,
    they are not to wet

I always sow mine in a propagator as they need high sixties to low seventies to germinate I think!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine germinated in a week but indoors on the kitchen windowsill. They are now in individual 3" pots in the unheated greenhouse but come into the dining room at night. I would think they are too cold in an unheated greenhouse. Any chance you can bring them in the house?
      Last edited by Flummery; 03-04-2007, 07:28 PM.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

hi cheshire, if i were you i would bring them in until they germinate. The temp in the daytime is not too bad but its still very cold at night. See if you can bring them indoors for a couple of weeks. They should germinate in ten to fourteen days. Good luck.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

My moneymakers germinated in a week on the kitchen window sill without the use of a propegator

Comment

Seems a long time for tomatoes to germinate. I think they must be too cold. Can you take them indoors to a sunny windowsill. I think they'll pop up in a few days then. And keep them on the windowsill till they get bigger and the weather warms up a bit at night.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I bring mine indoors at night Alice - greenhouse in the day, dining table at night. Spoil 'em rotten don't I?
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Expensive toms? OH loves toms, he will eat them breakfast, dinner, tea .......
                so when he saw this advert in the Daily Mail he just had to show me it is an offer from T&M £9.99 for 3 tom plants 'Tomazing' or £17.99 for 6 plants + **free basil seeds** (attention all seed-a-holics) I thought this was expensive - but I am willing to re consider. Has any one grown these before? Were they worth the money etc? please advise.

http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/pr...4394/1?SA=1303
                Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                -- Alfred E. Neumann
                http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Thats a ridiculous price!!! Sorry, but £10 could buy a heck of a lot of tomato seeds, and they are probably one of the easiest things to grow from seed (we've currently about 60 plants ranging from 18" tall to seedlings about an inch tall, of 13 different varieties!) I'd save my money and go seed buying instead!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Blimey £10 for 3 plants - oh and £3.99 p&p! Well I suppose they might be the sweetest ever, but there are soooo many other varieties of toms to choose from. Afterall won't growing conditions make a difference to taste?

For small 'bite-size' toms try Gardeners Delight & Garden Pearl (trailing), very tasty.
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Gardeners Delight seeds are free with this months Grow Your Own magazine.
                      [

Comment

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! No more room for toms!!!!! Mind you, can't you grow Gardeners' Delight outside? If so then perhaps I could sneak a couple into the borders............

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                          Thats a ridiculous price!!! Sorry, but £10 could buy a heck of a lot of tomato seeds, and they are probably one of the easiest things to grow from seed (we've currently about 60 plants ranging from 18" tall to seedlings about an inch tall, of 13 different varieties!) I'd save my money and go seed buying instead!
                          Blimey! 60 tom plants? Do you also go by the name of Wyevale?
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Thanks everyone but i went to my allotment this evening and some of them have germinated
                            im sure they must have suspected i would be asking for help
                            once again thankyou everyone

HAPPY GARDENING

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              Blimey! 60 tom plants? Do you also go by the name of Wyevale?
                              Lol!! Nope, and we've plans to germinate some more yet!

The plan is to grow at least 4 of each variety, 1 for the proper greenhouse (plot), 1 for outdoors on the plot (where applicable), 1 for the back yard in a border, and 1 in a grow bag (back yard), so we can find which grow best for us! We also want to grow a lot in hanging baskets, along with herbs ala the piccy in the free book that came with GYO this month, and grow enough toms that we can cook and freeze / 'can' enough to make us self sufficient in toms for the coming year! If we can do that it will not only be cheaper (and much tastier), but also cut down on the tins of toms we buy and the waste from those tins!
                              Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 05-04-2007, 08:39 PM.
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X