Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

restarting a neglected plot: green manure or cardboard and poo?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no one would go the green manure path???
    Last edited by salome2001; 12-10-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

It's just a bit late in the year to be sowing green manures, esp. as the OP's plot is still full of grass at the mo
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We have clay soil at home too - its hard work!
        If you're planning on using it, drainage is the most important issue - add horticultural sand or grit in large quantities and over time.
        On the plus side (yes there is a small one ) clay soil is very nutrient rich.

Comment

as chris said, turn it freqently, you'll have compost more quickly. You won't get compost in 2 months of laeaving a pile to it's own devices. If you want to leave it to it's own devices, you're looking at about 8 months to a year before it's compost

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            It's just a bit late in the year to be sowing green manures, esp. as the OP's plot is still full of grass at the mo
            actually, about 1/3 of it is now de-thatched, de-rooted and dug over. I was only really thinking of vetch as a green manure as it is quite late to sow and I didn't want anything too hard to dig in

Comment

Cardboard and mulch has worked a treat on nettlebeds for us. Potatoes through holes in the first year and then life as a normal bed in the second year. I only wish it worked as well for brambles and bindweed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X