X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    I sow them in modules
    So do I, now. It works, and for leeks too
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I never prick out my onions.

I sow them in modules, and plant them out either module by module or wait until they are about 6 inches tall and then separate them and plant them out. I harden them off quick quickly and put them in a good sunny position until they are a decent size.

Try sowing a pinch into modules, and once they are germinated, put them in the greenhouse, keep them watered but not wet and plant them out in late spring.
      Tried that, they just don't get any bigger, still like grass when the snows come and then never seen again. Can get summer ones to work OK (although they are much harder work than just shoving a set into the soil ) but not winter ones. That said, the time I tried just summer ones without pricking out they didn't swell either which does mean extra work and is a right pain. I do however have some massooooove carrots this year so some things are working right

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        they just don't get any bigger, still like grass when the snows come and then never seen again.
        Like this? I think shade is against me, not temp. The sun doesn't reach the greenhouse much at all after September, even though it's on a south-facing patio (the sun is lower than the buildings and trees in winter)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Tried that, they just don't get any bigger, still like grass when the snows come and then never seen again. Can get summer ones to work OK (although they are much harder work than just shoving a set into the soil ) but not winter ones. That said, the time I tried just summer ones without pricking out they didn't swell either which does mean extra work and is a right pain. I do however have some massooooove carrots this year so some things are working right
          Try a cloche. I know it's a cliche, but try a cloche.

Comment

I grew some of my Senshyu onion sets last year in a covered cold frame all winter and they matured noticeably quicker then the outdoor grown ones.
            The foliage had just about reached the glass by spring time when I was able to remove it.
            A worthwhile experiment.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Like this? I think shade is against me, not temp. The sun doesn't reach the greenhouse much at all after September, even though it's on a south-facing patio (the sun is lower than the buildings and trees in winter)
              Blimey, minie are bigger than that, don't feel so bad now

Try a cloche. I know it's a cliche, but try a cloche.
              Funnily enough own several cloches but never think to put them over onions - no idea why, will give it a go and compare with the sets.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

I grow my onions from sets and I usually do fine with them but where I come unstuck is when I store them, more than half this year have rotted already.
                Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

It seems to have been a bad year for onions and shallots with botrytis causing neck rot. Show shallots, "hative de niort" are selling for over £1 per bulb. I threw out over ten dozen that had neck rot and there will no doubt be more. I'm even contemplating starting mine off now rather than chancing losing all my stock which has been carefully reselected over many years.

Comment

I find that I do a lot better with winter sets than seeds. Sowed some senshyu back in August this week and have planted them out but also have back up sets so will see how they both do - am determined to get seeds to work one day
                    I struggle with onion seed too, so you are not alone. I have reverted to sets once again.
                    I can never master onion seed - like growing grass, only a lot slower.
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                      It seems to have been a bad year for onions and shallots with botrytis causing neck rot. Show shallots, "hative de niort" are selling for over £1 per bulb. I threw out over ten dozen that had neck rot and there will no doubt be more. I'm even contemplating starting mine off now rather than chancing losing all my stock which has been carefully reselected over many years.
                      Interesting you say this as my sets have been the best ever this year. I've put this down to better ground preparation so am quite excited if this is a bad year as think how well I'd have done in a good one

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
                        Pompei are a spring or pickling onion so they won't get any bigger and you should be using them now.
                        Doh.....Yes, indeed they are and if I had checked my records I would have seen that, instead of typing furiously with a worried brow..!!
                        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

Alison, I wasn't referring to the size of the crop, my own returns in terms of weight are superb but a goodly few are not keeping at all well.
                          Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X