Filling raised beds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Corris View Post
    I wanted it to look like Monty's. All level with the wood - but didn't know what to do it with. And I'm too impatient for lasagne
    Lasagne method doesn't need to take that long (and it IS winter) so you're not planting now anyway?
    - This one wasn't filled, we just planted into the soil underneath (May). It has just now been topped up with compost from our dalek.

- lasagne bed, started Oct I think (if you finish with a layer of topsoil you can plant straight into it)
    - veg bed, filled, planted up in May

If you decide to go the lasagne route, leaflet your street and get everyone to contribute kitchen peelings, leaves, shredded newspaper etc. You don't have to wait until it's all rotted down - just top off with some topsoil so it looks nice and plant straight into it. It will sink a bit, but you can top it up every year with homemade compost.

If not, you'll have to spend a fortune on screened topsoil. It would've cost us about £100 to fill each of our raised beds (we have 4, small ones).
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-10-2011, 08:40 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

lasagne method looking more and more attractive... How long does it take to rot down?

Comment

Is it just literally a dalek stuffing straight into the soil? Do I put the chicken pen stuff into it too?

Comment

We layered up our raised beds in the polytunnel with loads of chicken/duck clearings (straw, sawdust, poo), then bags of horse muck from a friend, then topsoil and used compost. They have already sunk a bit, but I'm planning to dig in more horse muck over winter.....

Comment

lasagne method looking more and more attractive... How long does it take to rot down?
            That depends on how hot it is, how many microbes and worms there are ... mine in the photos were ready to plant into immediately (they had a couple of inches of topsoil as the top layer).

Is it just literally a dalek stuffing straight into the soil? Do I put the chicken pen stuff into it too?
            You can put whatever you like into your lasagne. More info here: Lasagna Gardening ~ Raised Bed Lasagna Gardening ~ Lasagna Composting
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My kitchen compost bucket is being used to put a layer of "raw" compost in the bottom of each of my new raised beds in the potager. This is then having a layer of straw from our of the chicken coop added to add a bit of manure. The rest will be topped up with very well rotted manure, its like compost in texture.

However as others have said you dont have to fill them, the best thing is not to dig them, this alows the network of fungi and such things to get established and it is these symbiotic relationships that release the nutrients and minerals from your growing medium that the plants need. Just top dress every year to build up the levels.

Comment

filling raised beds

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                Near Newton Abbot in Devon. Bring bags, bring a trailer. I'll help you load, I'll make you a cup of coffee. If I know you're coming I'll bake a cake

Hi Polly,
                I am going back through some old post looking at how people are filled their raised beds.
                I see that you live very close to me (I am in Totnes).
                I will need some top soil myself and I'm sure you've already used all yours up - but can I ask you when you bought yours from?

Thank you for your help
                The Devon Dreamer

Comment

Hi Devon Dreamer and welcome to the Vine.
                  Polly hasn't visited the forum since 2012 so you're unlikely to have a reply. Maybe someone else here can advise you?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X