No announcement yet.

Heated Propagator Advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&Q do their own heated propagator - used to be about £13, but don't know when/if they'd be in stock.

B&Q Heated Propagator 1607 Black 38cm, 1607

£13.98 now.

Oh, or the £15 Sankey...

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...-Green-9906525
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 25-01-2012, 08:04 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
      There is a cheaper one also made by Sankey, same size but only the one seed tray so I think I'll be going for the one above.
      Evertime in my life, when I have gone for the smaller, cheaper option, I have regreted it

Comment

I am planning on getting my first heated prop so thanks for all the info :-)
        -------------------------------

Currently growing..

Peter Pepper,Moruga Scorpion,Habanero,Bhut Jolokia(yellow),Numex Twilight,Purple Jalapeno,Big Jim,Papri Paprika,Thai Hybrid,Esplendor,Sweet mini bell pepper and Patio fire chilli...

Also
        Black tomato,Dragons Egg Cucumbers and Charentais Melon

Comment

Originally posted by Davyburns View Post
          when I have gone for the smaller, cheaper option, I have regreted it
          You know, size isn't everything *wink*

I have a Smart car, a miniature dog ... small is beautiful
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm happy with my small H/propagator it saves me getting too carried away sowing.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I made one years ago.
              My heating cable is not in sand but air. Supported on a wood frame in the bottom of the propagator.
              Plants go on a grill above the cable.
              It has an integral thermostat.
              The cable and frame is very light and the whole propagator is simple to dismantle and store in the shed when space is required in the GH.
              Don't know if it was special Air cable. Some may over heat but mine doesn't.

The top was custom built with wood. No glass but a stiff cling film like material, I think it was some sort of camera filter paper. Thin just like paper but transparent.

Jimmy
              Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Any opinions on this badboy...Obviously not for that price as its cheaper elsewhere :-)

Biogreen JP-H/GB Jumbo Propagator Heated includes Thermostat 0 - 40 Degree Celsius: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Currently growing..

Peter Pepper,Moruga Scorpion,Habanero,Bhut Jolokia(yellow),Numex Twilight,Purple Jalapeno,Big Jim,Papri Paprika,Thai Hybrid,Esplendor,Sweet mini bell pepper and Patio fire chilli...

Also

Comment

Just been to my local B&Q and they don't sell heated props anymore...lol..They withdrew them all.

Currently growing..

Also

Comment

^ yeah: "Extra height (50cm) for big plants". It's only used to trigger germination, so there won't be any big plants in it.

Waste of money.

Get a £20 Sankey, it does the job. This is similar: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Intellig...3788332&sr=1-7

even cheaper from your favourite auction site: Electric Heated Propagator - 8 watt Plant Propagator | eBay
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-03-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Was just looking on Ebay and Amazon at Sankey :-)

Only mentioned the big one as it was 1/2 price on ebay.

Currently growing..

Also

Comment

The big one also goes up to 40c ... that would do a roast dinner

I've had 2 of the Sankeys, and a larger posher one that was a gift. I never use the gift, it's too big and cumbersome. The Sankeys are the size of a gravel tray, and fit eight 3" pots nicely, next to each other on the kitchen windowsill

Comment

The big one also goes up to 40c ... that would do a roast dinner
                          Chilli plants germinating and a nice pan of hot stew alongside..lovely

Currently growing..

Also

Comment

Depends on how many early plants you need. basically the propagator should take 1 plus a half full size plant trays as a minimum in my view.

Any smaller and it may not be enough.

Much bigger and where do you put it? Will it fit on a windowsill? That is where most live in early spring.

Then you need some form of ventilation - or plants will cook in full sun.

Then you must consider it is highly likely you will drop and crack the top. is it repairable? Spares are usually very expensive...and not worth it. (again this is my view).

if the thermostat is cheap, nasty and unreliable, you can freeze or cook your tender plants. If no thermostat then run away!!!!!!!

Mine is 20 years old with a cracked and glued perpex top with two circular air inlets in roof. The original plastic i trays that came with it : half size, and 1/4 size - are cracking with age.

But it works perfectly.. No longer made of course...

Comment

Mine don't have thermostat, and they're fine
                              They also only fit one seed tray, and that's fine too.

I use 3" pots, not trays, and as soon as one germinates it gets whipped out to the gh, and another 3" pot gets sown in its place

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X