Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is on your 'must grow' list please?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Corris View Post
    oh it's a big list! And I haven't even LOOKED in the catalogues yet...

Garlic and Rhubarb (already bought and rhubarb planted)
    herbs (sage/mint/bay/thyme already growing) basil and coriander hopefully
    Potatoes
    leeks
    peppers
    tomtao
    spring onion
    runner bean
    cauliflower
    courgette - yellow and green
    carrot
    parsnip
    broad bean
    asparagus
    strawberry
    lettuce
    brussel sprout
    cabbage
    purple sprouting
    broccoli
    marrow
    sweetcorn
    spinach
    beetroot

and I was going to grow chard - why is that on your 'not list', can I ask?

Oh, and I've got an apple and a pear tree, and raspberry and loganberry and gooseberry bushes, two fig trees and a grape vine.

Some may not get done this year though - I wont' be able to make my asparagus bed until next year. OH wants to grow cauliflower because his dad couldn't (I've never heard such daft reasoning - oh, I'll grow that because it's really difficult...)

And, as I go through catalogues I keep finding things I really want to have a go at - there was something last night that looked like a sweet pea and had a tri-pod thing left behind that you cooked whole at about 1.5 inches long. I want to grow sweet peas and nasturtiums too.

I am an ambitious girl
    Caulis - it's very hard to get the curds white, and if you buy the F1s, then they are all ready the same week; if you can get them to grow properly at all. Pain in the neck

Your little tri-pod pea thing, is called Asparagus Pea. Unless you like tasteless fiddly things, they are only good for the minute flower; seriously.

I learnt quite quickly that it's really not worth spending time, money and heartache on things that are a PITA - but only by growing things do you learn which is a PITA for you and your soil.

So as two-sheds said, and as I said on the other thread, grow what you like to eat first and then expand into more adventurous things.

Comment

it will be my first full year growing at the allotment
      broad beans (loads)
      runners
      carrots
      beetroot (white and normal)
      parsnips
      brussels
      climbing beans
      french beans (dwarf)
      sweetcorn
      potatoes
      salad (spring onions,radish,lettuce)
      swede
      turnip
      peas
      cabbage
      romanesco
      rainbow chard
      courgette
      in the greenhouse
      toms
      chillies
      cucumber
      grapes
      fruit outside
      strawbs
      red and white currant
      gooseberry
      rhubarb
      and no doubt a few more items as well

Comment

Cucumbers because they are so much tastier & crisper. Toms the same . Herbs because they are always available fresh. Fennel because it is expensive to buy.
        Strawberries because they are so enticing ewheh you walk down the garden.
        Turnips & Kohl rabi because they are expensive to buy.
        Salad leaves as it gives you a very satisfying feeling to take some scissors down the garden & cut your own lunch.
        Have given up on broccolli & broad beans because of butterflies & aphids.
        Grow a few carrots but carrots & beetroot do not do well in my garden.
        love beans but can only eat limited amount & don`t like them frozen so will grow less next year as I have limited space.

Comment

Sorry forgot rainbow chard which is a really decorative plant & I do eat some of it but if you leave it to set seed it is an amazing architectural plant.

Comment

I talked the kids at school out of buying 'asparagus pea' seeds. Said we could try them for the flowers if they wanted to, but that lots of people said they didn't taste nice. So they very wisely chose to put a purple-podded pea on the list instead - pretty flowers and edible pods

Comment

oh well, that's one thing crossed off and about six added!

I had no understanding it was this complicated - or exciting

Comment

You cannot eat them,but no garden is complete without ............... sweet peas
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

ah sweet peas and nasturtiums are both on there.

Comment

I must grow more than one serving of PEAS! They were the yummiest peas I ever tasted... and I love peas! Also beans were great and freeze well. I am mostly sticking to regular things as the folks dont really "get" odd veg. I will try romanesco this year for fun. Apart from that Chillis and Squash are my faves to grow. I did really well with Spaghetti Squash this year!
                    http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Mymust haves are

Globe artichokes, georgeous and expensive to buy
                      Beetroot, lots of differebt types
                      parsnips, love them and always get a good crop
                      Winter squash, lots of different varieties and sizes.
                      Kale
                      Chard, love chard and kale in pasta with chorizo!
                      New potatoes
                      Red cabbage for the festive feeling!!
                      Runners and french beans
                      toms, indoor and out
                      cucs, same!
                      Oca just for the pleasure of diging up a scarlott jewell in mid winter!
                      garlic

When i started i did the staples mainly, but now try to grow things i llike that are very pricey to buy such as globe artichokes and asparagus (waiting a crop on these!) plus things i love! Each year i try to grow one unusual thing that you generally cant buy just to see if i like it. Often i do like them but perhaps not enough to give them room in the plot, but still glad i tried! I also like to try new varieteies of a veg such as new beans ive not had. Each year you will find the staples you like and this list will grow, but each year you will discard some. Ive yet to find something I really hate! Plus as mentioned its learning about the soil and conditions on your plot, how much time you have to mollycoddle etc!

Enjoy is all i can say!
                      Last edited by jackyspratty; 28-12-2011, 05:48 PM.
                      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

next year I will be growing, amongst others-
                        Broad beans
                        Several different kinds of squash/ pumpkin, and more of them than this year
                        Runner beans- some for dried beans in the winter, some fresh
                        Borlotti beans for dried
                        Red cabbage, sprouts, King Edwards and parsnips for the Christmas dinner table
                        carrots
                        tomatoes
                        salad leaves
                        peppers
                        cucumbers
                        new potatoes
                        strawbs
                        rasps
                        leeks
                        rhubarb

oh, and heaps of other things too. Basil and swedes and marigolds and all sorts.

Comment

oh it's a big list! And I haven't even LOOKED in the catalogues yet...

Garlic and Rhubarb (already bought and rhubarb planted)
                          herbs (sage/mint/bay/thyme already growing) basil and coriander hopefully
                          Potatoes
                          leeks

peppers
                          tomtao
                          spring onion
                          runner bean
                          cauliflower
                          courgette - yellow and green
                          carrot
                          parsnip
                          broad bean
                          asparagus
                          strawberry
                          lettuce

brussel sprout
                          cabbage
                          purple sprouting
                          broccoli
                          marrow
                          sweetcorn

spinach
                          beetroot

and I was going to grow chard - why is that on your 'not list', can I ask?

Oh, and I've got an apple and a pear tree, and raspberry and loganberry and gooseberry bushes, two fig trees and a grape vine.
                          I think for someone new, it's important to grow mostly things that not just that you like to eat but are also easy. Plenty of disappointments to be had anyway.

I have highlighted those, I think are dead easy. And as such rewarding. Some were already mentioned, but I could list: squashes and pumpkins (I do also love Crown Prince); kale and khol-rabi of the mostly difficult brassica group; onions, welsh onions (they are much easier than spring ones), shallots; sorrel(much easier than spinach); and tomatoes, cucumbers, parsnips and radishes are fairly easy (winter radish is a lot less trouble).

With carrots, the real problem is, that you must cover them with some fine mesh, otherwise, also easy.

there was something last night that looked like a sweet pea and had a tri-pod thing left behind that you cooked whole at about 1.5 inches long. I want to grow sweet peas and nasturtiums too.
                          Rubbish. Pretty maroon flowers to them, but as the plants themselves are also tiny, not much you get to see of them. The Asparagus peas themselves are perfectly tasteless and tiny.

Both artichokes - Jerusalem and Globe - are also easy, if you like them.

If you like your seeds, caraway, dill, seed poppy and sunflowers are all very easy to grow, also cobnuts (unless you have lots of squirrels).

Take it easy for the first year, there is plenty to grow that won't give you extra trouble till you get into a routine. Enjoy!

Once you are courgetting, I would recommend the petty pan types, I find them more flavoursome. Of course, do hold in mind, a couple of courgette plants provide oodles of fruit to cope with.

Comment

Thanks everyone - I still haven't ordered anything

But am at the table, tea in hand listing what I want and what has been recommended, with my catalogues scattered about.

Who knew it would be so much fun? And I haven't even grown anything yet.

Comment

One more thing, Corris. before you spend oodles of cash on seeds from some of the big seed companies, check out places like Wilko and LIDL for the common varieties, or Alan Romans website Alan Romans or Moreveg Home - moreveg.co.uk, vegetable seed company, vegetable seeds, herb seeds, flower seeds where most of their seed is 50p a packet but in smaller quantities than the bigger suppliers.
                              Seeds are not cheap and you may be horrified when you add up the cost of what you would like to buy.
                              Also, don't forget the seedswap on here which Zaz has already suggested. Its a very cheap way to try some of the more unusual seeds.

Comment

Thanks everyone - I still haven't ordered anything

But am at the table, tea in hand listing what I want and what has been recommended, with my catalogues scattered about.

Who knew it would be so much fun? And I haven't even grown anything yet.
                                Buy 5 packs of Franchi seeds [check the pack but you get oodles of seeds in most of them] then pack them up into small bags [keeping some for you] and swap the rest for others that you want to grow.

If you packed them into 10 bags each, that would give you a choice of 50 seed types to grow. Saving you about £100.

Plus Franchi seeds are usually absolutely fantastic in themselves.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X