Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early potatoes - how early do you plant yours?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may use 6th April for all my potatoes except those in containers, which I can plant in March, fleece and keep in greenhouse.
    Thanks all
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Paddy's day for me with some frantic earthing up if a late frost is forecast

Comment

last year i planted Rocket and Lady Christel last week of Feb
        covered with 36gsm fleece and earthed up as soon as showed through
        most the other lottie guys tried telling me it was too early but paid off and had lovely early spuds nearly a month earlier than everyone else did

Comment

A few for forcing will go in the pots in the GH in the next fortnight. The rest will follow in early March, if a frost is forecast I just put the dustbin lids on.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

i planted 3 trial tatty sacks last weekend swift pentland javeline and lady christi in the greenhouse at the lottie i made a double protection by making each sack its own clear poly cover with a bit of luck i may get an earlier than normal crop my birthdays apr30 so thats when i hope to harvest as a birthday treat

Comment

I'm putting one in a 5" pot today, in the unheated (but frost free) gh.

They've been chitting since I dug them up (accidentally: I just left them on the windowsill instead of putting them in the fridge).
              Attached Files
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mid end of feb planted then pull the ridges up, you dont see potato farmers going out every day to cover the shoots over, they are then safe in the ground and will start growing properly when the ground warms up
                Last edited by PAULW; 08-01-2013, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Early to mid Feb. for the container ones in the greenhouse but it really depends on how cold it is. Last year I got the first dinner of new spuds on 29th April. Outdoor ones wait till mid-late March. If you can give some some decent protection like a greenhouse/tunnel I would certainly recommend a feb. planting for an early crop.

Comment

I usually aim for the 17th too but my plot neighbour, who is 84, plants his out mid Feb every year and mounds them up. He hasn't lost a crop yet to frost.

I might try some early this year but the ones I grew from TPS will be going out much later, it has taken three years to get them to this stage and I wouldn't risk losing them.
                    My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                      Just like to point out that the term "earlies" refers to the harvest time not planting time.
                      I didn't know that!
                      http://savinglives.ahar.ie/

Comment

Down here in greater London I'll plant any time from 2nd week of March when the soil is ready. I'm prepared to keep earthing / covering with fleece until the frosts are all history for the summer.

This year it will be mid April. No crop until July
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I'm still waiting to plant mine outside - so much for sunny France eh?! Lol . Planted a few in the polytunnel 10th Feb, started lifting the fleece a week or two ago, then a heavy frost the other night made their little leaves go all droopy and sad looking, even under the tunnel! So fleece back again now. Was planning on sowing the others over easter, but there are snowflakes outside! I can't believe it, we've avoided most of the snow until now! Sod's Law obviously exists wherever you live.
                          sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            I'm putting one in a 5" pot today, in the unheated (but frost free) gh.
                            So, I planted one a fortnight in the gh since Jan, but no shows yet
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just been down the GH and mine planted 5/3 have just started to show. However I did put a heater in there about a week ago.

Potty
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Put mine in yesterday ,Desiree and Yara

David

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X