Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early potatoes - how early do you plant yours?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

always try to keep the leaves covered with soil till frost has past if caught out spray with cold water and shade with newspaper (to stop sun burning them) black poly can be used but I think it is safer to allow the air to get through them as well

Comment

It's too cold here.
      Normally I'd like to think that here we are usually a bit ahead of 'inland, and up north' but these constant east/north easterly winds are really pinning us back temp wise.
      The farmers say 'its too cold to put potatoes in' so I'll hold off, i'd like to think by around April 20th most of mine will be in... hopefully!
      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

I have planted out 1st. and 2nd. earlys today after having the bed covered with black weed suppressing membrane for the past week cut X in membrane and planted potatoes six inches deep then covered the area with fleece. Have never tried planting potatoes this way before but will let you know how they get on

Comment

No chance of mine going in for another few weeks yet

Comment

well i'm 6 weeks behind with my greenhouse bags and yesterday i planted up at the allotment one month behind.
            spent last week prepping beds and covering them to warm up
            soil over 6 degrees at 8pm so planted yesterday afternoon and put the covers back on for a warm up
            phil
            this will be a battle from the heart
            cymru am byth

Comment

The bed is ready in theory, but I've left mine chitting, as it's still well below zero at night and around zero during the day! I've been close to tears with painful hands, so pretty sure the spuds won't like it! Might put them in this weekend and mulch up with used straw bedding from the stables. My yard manager is loving me at the moment.

Comment

I am hoping to put the earlies in tomorrow if it isn't as cold as it has been. Got some maure to top them off with to try to keep the frost off. I had planned this task for the pre-easter week but those days off ended up being so cold I was stuck on the sofa flicking though the garden mags instead!

Comment

Still have snow drifts in garden and -2 to -5C at night.

Even my greenhouse earlies are sulking.

No chance of outside planting for at least two weeks.

Comment

Here in Nottm we are supposed to have a frost free period of 5 nights starting Sunday. This will give me chance to plant up the dustbins, after that it will be a case of 'lids on' at the first sign of frost.

Potty
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
                      To give you an idea an old boy left his allotment late last year and left all his potatoes in the ground, it looks like someone took the plot on and dug some up at the weekend and not a single potato had any shoots on them at all.
                      The ones I dug up showed that the eyes were barely starting to break. Hope to get them in next week as it's forecast to warm up by a few degrees

Comment

I've folded.... half of the potatoes got put in today :/
                        GYO Photos, Pests, Problems and luvvin it!!
                        http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/s...ie/Vegetables/

Comment

I've planted the ones Samurailord gave me today! I've just looked at the ones indoors and they only have tiny chits!

Comment

I planted both today - I had some that had been chitting since feb and had good growth on them. but also planted my non chitted spuds, sort of as a experiment but also out of frustration at wanting something to do.

Comment

My outdoor ones went in yesterday, so I'm fully expecting snow and hail again now. The maincrop destined for dustbin planting will go in this week, provided the shop's re-stocked with dustbins .
                              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

i put my tatties in 1/2 dustbins on friday,in 12ins of compost bin contents,really good looking stuff,but have not watered them yet as the nights are still really icy,about 3-4ins of black loam on top to insulate them til it starts raining,then we will know summer is here,have to prepare for the handful of salad blue tatties due to arrive in a few days,growing them for the local show...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X