No announcement yet.

Which Compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be tempted to buy a bag or 2 of topsoil as well and mix it with the multi-purpose compost. I've started doing that even with pots for tomatoes etc., as it holds water better, and doesn't dry out and shrink so readily. I do it as 2 parts compost to 1 part topsoil, so it doesn't work out too much more.

Comment

i must admit for some potted items i use combination of perlite and vermiculite mix tried topsoil mixing and could not get on with it

Comment

I'm almost there with the great tips from you lovely people, I know what containers I'm getting, where I'm putting it and make sure it's safe from strimmer etc, I know now what I'm filling it with ....but one more question if I may, what mix do you all start the seeds off with? is it the same mix that goes in containers and just sieved more to make finer, or is that too rich to start off with? .... I will be starting them off in a little grow house in a cold conservatory, maybe I will use a bit of heat for them if needed, I ordered my growhouse yesterday online, I paid for express delivery and it came today, I was Sooo excited until I went to open the box....They sent me a flipping WATER FEATURE!! by mistake...grrrr, I can laugh now but was so disappointed this morning....they better sort it quickly or else I want my express delivery charges back!!....lol
        "Today's Thoughts are Previews of Tomorrow's Coming Attractions"

Comment

GTS I use Wickes compost to cut my seeds mainly because I know it is sterile. You just have to be careful not to let it get to wet other wise your seed could rot. It is my belief that more harm is done by over watering than by not giving enough water.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

always used to use MP for seeds but read(on here I think) that it's too rich and can promote tall spindly seedlings especially withthe lack of light
            I now use JI seed compost with perlite added and so far v.good results

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X