No announcement yet.

Wicke's compost.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think the quality of the composts is also related to when its been packed - for example in the middle of summer they are trying to sell as much as possible, so they might not give as much time for it to rot down, whereas knowbody buys it in winter so it has an extra few months to rot down - so the people that get the first batch of the season might get good compost compared to those who buy it in the middle of the season - dont know how right that is tho?

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
      Last time I had ASDA compost it was so poor I complained and got my money back!
      Mine was a Mothering Sunday gift from ASDA year before last. Absolutely rubbish, but I didn't tell my daughter that.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

As I posted above I have bought some in the last two weeks but it read 75ltrs on the bag. I now know this must be last years stock and its up to the usual standard.

It is the new 70ltr bags that are so far carp.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
          As I posted above I have bought some in the last two weeks but it read 75ltrs on the bag. I now know this must be last years stock and its up to the usual standard.

It is the new 70ltr bags that are so far carp.

Colin
          might have to have a rummage then as i did see there were 2 piles, one closer to the door than the other and it was raining, may check it out, thanks

Comment

Reading the above comments, coupled with my own experience of multi-purpose compost and grow-bags from a couple of the suppliers mentioned I am drawn to the conclusion that it is indeed pot-luck (no pun intended)

A lot of the general purpose compost these days is based on the product of council green waste which is processed, sometimes by the councils themselves or by independant companies, then sold on for blending and packing. The initial material by its very nature is extremely variable, however I am sure that all compost offered for sale will meet the basic requirements of the relevant Indusrty or BS Standard.

a-a

Comment

I did a little compost shopping/comparing today. Wickes' stuff (peat-free) was still in the process of decomposing and not very good, the stuff i got from B&Q last year (again peat-free) was terrible and would dry out and lock together so i didn't even check their brand this time around. Then i stumbled upon some real black gold; New Horizon (i'm sure i've seen Two_Sheds mention how good this stuff is) peat-free and organic, on sale and 3 for 2. Bargain.

Comment

the New Horizon name seems to come up allot, gonna have a try of it i think. Must admit i did a Seaspring seeds chilli growing course last year and they used it wil good results

Comment

Bought Morrison's last year, very woody.

Comment

I have had a bit of luck today I called in at Wickes as I was passing and found 4 of last years bags hidden behind the new stuff. Being cheeky I asked if I would get a discount if I took the old stuff away.

4 bags for £10 so thats me sorted for a couple of years.

Colin
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X