No announcement yet.

Peas - in ground?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tears of laughter I just knew I had made a mistake.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I think you say these things deliberately, just to wake me up!

Comment

Should have known it was all my fault.

Should I say sorry?

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Not this time - you are excused!! Just ensure that it happens again....

Comment

Yes ma'am most certainly anyway to the shower now, catch up with you tomorrow.

Goodnight Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget your dram! Goodnight Potty.

Comment

Originally posted by sowitgrowit View Post
                whilst tidying up yesterday I found a 5" tall pea plant growing
                Just goes to show that it is warm enough for them now (we didn't really get a winter did we? I have sweet peas 4" high in the garden (self-sown)

Originally posted by MrsDaffy View Post
                I put them in a takeaway plastic tub with damp paper towel on top and underneath and put on plastic lid. Only took 2 days to sprout.
                Same here. I grow 100s of peas and it's a waste of compost & time, imo, to start them in pots (unless they're a special variety that I want to ensure success with). I chit them, then plant the healthiest strongest ones direct

I put some in this week (Meteor).
                The autumn sown ones are looking a bit battered, but the roots will be good.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Don't forget your dram! Goodnight Potty.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  The autumn sown ones are looking a bit battered, but the roots will be good.
                  My autumn-planted peas (Meteor) and broad beans (Aguadulce) all look dead/dying. I thought I'd have to dig them up and start again. Will they produce new growth from the existing roots? And if so, should I cut away the dead stuff above ground, or should I just leave them to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Leek Inquiry View Post
                    My autumn-planted peas (Meteor) and broad beans (Aguadulce) all look dead/dying... Will they produce new growth from the existing roots?
                    Yes they will.

Lush tender top growth is often blackened/shredded by a cold snap. Once the leaves are dead they will just rot (and then you'll get slugs on them), so cut back to a healthy bud. Fresh new leaves will sprout
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi - I never grew peas before and I'm looking for advice on preparing a pea trench. I chitted and sowed mangetout and hurst greenshaft peas in modules and root trainers and they are looking good, they are about 3 inches and growing some tendrils. So I want to plant these in the tunnel and some in my outside bed asap. I read that you can put a layer of scraps and leaves etc. in the bottom of a trench in winter to rot and cover it over with soil. I have compost on the go since last autumn but it wouldn't be very well rotted yet. Would this be ok to use now and plant the peas on top? Or would it be bad when the roots grow down and reach it? It's a new plot and the soil was very poor to start with but I did add a lot of rotted manure last autumn. So maybe this is enough nutrients?
                      Also I was reading that a double row is good. I am going to use chicken wire between two posts for support. So do you plant a single row on either side of the support?
                      Sorry for the long-winded message Thanks

Comment

I don't do much to prepare the ground for my peas, just add a layer of well composted material at the start of the season and then let them get on with it. Get great crops so it must work OK. I do a pit (suits the way I grow them) for my beans full of bokashi but don't bother for the peas.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

For my mangetouts I planted them in a 50x50cm block. I should have protected the earlier ones from the birds, but support-wise they didn't need anything. Climbed over each other. I've switched to mangetout shiraz this year as the only thing I did have an issue was was finding beans in a mass of plant
                          Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                          Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Leek Inquiry View Post
                            Will they produce new growth from the existing roots?
                            Even if they are burnt to the ground (as some of mine are) if you look closely you should be able to see some new growth. All but one of my burnt beans is visibly budding from soil level, and I bet the last is as well, I just can't see it yet.
                            Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                            Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

If you can reach both sides fine to pick the peas, then that'll be fine yes. I grew a double row in front of pea netting (won't use it again, it's a right PITA to get the tendrils off after use). I tend to grow short types though, so only minimal support is needed as they support each other.

Comment

I am also a gutter man. Get good results.
                                johntheeng

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X