Peas - in ground?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes I'll be growing short rows across the bed so I should be able to get at both sides easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by j r hilton View Post
      I am also a gutter man. Get good results.
      I'm in the gutter at home too!

Comment

Last year I just direct sowed my peas and covered with fleece, I did grow some in modules to fill the gaps, this system worked well and I will do it a gain this year, I have about 1KG of peas to sow.

Also this year I have some heirloom peas from a vine seed circle to try, I will start these off in modules in the greenhouse as I don't have many.
        Chris

My Allotment Journal @
        Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
        -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
          If you can reach both sides fine to pick the peas, then that'll be fine yes. I grew a double row in front of pea netting (won't use it again, it's a right PITA to get the tendrils off after use). I tend to grow short types though, so only minimal support is needed as they support each other.
          I put netting over mine to protect but it was about 2 inches too low. I ended up throwing the netting away. The mangetout won.
          Proud member of the Nutters Club.
          Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

I grew Meteors in rootrainers and planted them out at the start of the week alongside my new pea cage. Bl**dy wind flattened them all in the next 24 hours. I have stuck plastic bottle cloches over them to give them some wind protection and am hoping at least some of them survived. Not happy.
            At least the cage is still in one piece.

Comment

Do peas and mangetout need to be protected from birds?

I didn't realise they could be planted so early...it's not out of the question that we could have some heavy frosts or even snow to come.

I'm going to try both methods as in loo rolls and guttering to see how I get on. I'm growing varieties that don't grow too tall because I'm only short myself. When I have to get a new fridge I have to make sure I can reach the back of the top shelf!

Must remember to be nice to OH today as he has lots of guttering.

Comment

I'm putting some in RTs this weekend, but I don't grow many, just enough for a little snack for me and the granchildren when we're outside.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I'm growing Purple podded and telephone peas both for the first time they're in loo rolls in the g/house and are just showing above the compost so by the sounds of it they can soon go out in the garden.

Have read that the p/podded ones aren't very nice eaten raw so that was a bit disappointing.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I sow mine direct in the soil around the same day as potatoes get planted - St Patrick's day

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
                      Do peas and mangetout need to be protected from birds?
                      Something ate my first batch last year as they came up. I didn't think it was slugs, as they don't seem to get going until a bit later, but maybe it was. I assumed it was the local pigeons. Later batches didn't get eaten, I assumed because they weren't the only thing available then as more things were around to nibble on.
                      Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                      Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Haven't planted any (either direct or otherwise) yet but have big plans for a pea spree next weekend
                        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

I planted a wide trench of oregon sugar pod three weeks ago under a cheap ploy cloche, they started to come up after 10 days and are now nearly all up!

Comment

Planted out two short rows or Oregan Sugar Pod either side of chicken wire in the tunnel this morning. Threw some shredded newspaper and dried lumps of manure deep in the trench to hold moisture. Fingers crossed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X