Brassica seedling problems

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK.

If I were you I'd delay sowing for a month then (I do, for the same reasons). Later sowings nearly always catch up with early ones anyway ~ brassicas are in the ground for a long time
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Don't mollycoddle them, killing them with kindness is something we are all guilty of. Chuck them in a pot, cover them with half inch of soil, give them some water from the bottom up (capilliary) let them drain and stick them by the wall of the house outside, then forget them for a week.
      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I always start mine in kitchen window so they are warm and only give them a little water when they need it. So the top layer of compost looks dry. I often water the tray so it can so it will soak upwards. Your seedlings look quite wet. Why not try try planting a few inside on a window and see how they do? Also have you tried different a new pack of seeds?

Comment

Although it hasn't worked for you, what you've done is not a million miles from how I've done it. Except I've used modules. On about 26th Feb I sowed 3 seeds per module (24 module tray, so each module is about 1.5"x1.5"). They had 100% seed compost, though in more recent sowings I've filled modules 50% with multi purpose first - cheaper and they get a bit of food when they get bigger. I too want variety not quantity, and I'm aiming for 6 plants per type - so I sowed 6 brussels modules, 6 cabbage, 6 broccoli and 6 cauli. Then because my compost had come from the cold garage and it was fairly nippy out still, I put warm water in the lid of the seed tray and soaked the modules in it for about 10-20 minutes (basically while I did something else). The water probably came 10%, maybe 20% up the side of the modules - not up to the level of the seeds at all. Then I stood the trays on a newspaper and put them out in the fleece lined mini greenhouse and left them. They had the clear tray lid on until...

March 11th - I had to sort out the mini greenhouse as I've gone barmy with seed sowing, and I thought they'd enjoy a spot of direct sunlight while I did so:
          http://kailyn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/SAM_0118-1024x576.jpg or click here
          Eye of faith required, but the third tray from the left is the brassica tray. And every cell has at least one little fat seedling in it. I did chuck a bit of water over them at this point though they probably didn't need it. They are now lid free as I have one lid and the tomatoes need it more. This weekend I'll see if there's a clear leader in each cell and get rid of any others.

So same theory, slightly different execution.
          Proud member of the Nutters Club.
          Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

^ when your seedlings are up, take the plastic lid off. If you don't, there's a good chance the lack of ventilation will cause fungal problems, moulds etc

Comment

Yep it's off - one of the benefits of being stingy is I only have one lid! So the most needy gets it. Tomatoes have it now.

Comment

The only brassicas I've sown for now is sprouts and they're only just breaking the surface. OH was confused why I was planting already when we've still got a couple of stalks left on the plot that were planted last year, am sure he thinks they grow and harvest in about a month.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Rightly or wrongly I mix vermiculite in my seed mix to stop the compost compacting yet retaining moisture, then like other grapes sow 20/30 seeds per pot.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I started using vermiculite mixed with mpc last year and had great results. I'm doing the same this year and all is well so far. :-)

Comment

I worked out that with the bags I was looking at, buying peat-free MPC and vermiculite and mixing them was more expensive than buying peat-based seed compost, but if I go peat free next year I'll probably do that too.

Comment

Buy peat free and mix it with homemade leafmold

Comment

I sowed my Brussels on February 20th and kept them in the kitchen for 7 days. They then went out in to the greenhouse and a week later a couple had sprouted.

March 5th:

March 13th:

Checking today, a couple more have come up and the ones that are already up have steadied their height growth and are filling out slightly. Watered once around 2 weeks ago sitting the tub in a bigger tub to water from below and kept it in the water for 5 minutes. Tub is still heavy as if the soil is still wet underneath

Cabbages were started 12 days ago and went in to the greenhouse straight away. No sign of germination yet but i'm not too worried.
                          www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

See, I'd prefer to water regularly because the seedlings are in a very small pot, lots to each pot - than have any tray with that amount of soil sitting there with just the nutrients being washed out. By the time the roots start to use the soil in the spaces there - the soil has been watered that many times, half the nutrients have been drained away. Then move them up into small pots of their own once they have about 4 true leaves as then I know I have healthy seedlings.

Comment

I find pots or modules much easier to use than seed trays too

Comment

I start most of my plants in modules and being tight its one seed per module except for lettuce which gets two. Frivolous I know but with 1200 seeds per packet even I will splash out.

Colin
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X