No announcement yet.

Difficult cucumber seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. I am actually raising my toms and peppers under a shop light so maybe I can go now. But will wait until April anyway, I'll chit 2 first. If they work out I think I'll chit the last 2. Cheers

Comment

Do complain to the seed company Redser - there are far too many expensive but duff seeds being sold!
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        That's for people with lots of lights and a heated gh.
        That'll be me then.

I've got 4 healthy plants under the light along with the Toms. Didn't get a single cucumber last year and wanted to get an early start.
        Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          A cynic might say it's so you have to go out and buy another packet of seed when you sow all the first ones too early and they die ...
          And that's exactly what I did! The two I have now in pots with freezer bags over them are getting there true leaves. I hope they make it.

The funny thing is I don't even like cucumbers I only grow 2 plants in the greenhouse for my son and mother-in-law.
          Chris

My Allotment Journal @
          Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
          -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

I don't know what variety are being grown but I have not had any problem with Marketmore76 (outdoor variety). I sowed 12 (some are for allotment plant sale) a couple of weeks ago (pre-chitted) and all 12 are through.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Not really scientific, but I got a 50% germination rate for my Gherkins (Parisian Pickling) that I have sown this year. That sounds a bit dramatic but I only put in 4 seeds ! Not too bothered as I was only looking 2 as they are a vigorous plant and I wouldn't have had room for 4.

Oh these were from Lidl in case anyone is interested.
              Last edited by biggreenfingers; 19-03-2012, 02:19 PM. Reason: Added shop details
              Plough Your Own Furrow

Comment

Is there any difference between Marketmore cucumber and Marketmore 76, please? I have seeds of the first and Gogling didn't really provide an answer apart from there also being Marketmore80. So I'm more confused now than when I started!

Comment

Just found this "˜Marketmore 97"™: A Monoecious Slicing Cucumber Inbred with Multiple Disease and Insect Resistances
                  Decades of cucumber breeding efforts at Cornell have continued to focus on resistance breeding and have generated a series of cucumbers combining disease resistances and other traits, including ‘Marketmore’, ‘Marketmore 70’, ‘Marketmore 76’, ‘Marketmore 87’, and ‘Marketmore 88’.

Sort of answers my question! Think I'll just grow them what ever their number may be!

Comment

I've got 3/3 Corn something de Paris gherkins up and one white summer squash up - usually it's because they are too cold, too hot, too wet or too dry I find with members of the cucurbit family. I'm only sowing early to get some crops out before the schools break up - otherwise we miss the window.
                    Last edited by zazen999; 19-03-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I saved seeds from my 'ugly cucumber' from last year -lord knows what variety it is because I got seriously muddled up with labelling - however I am hoping they are viable as they are nice and plump!

Am I the only one to find that self saved seed beats bought in seeds 9 times out of 10? Case in point are my chillies - I have sown pinches of about 10 varieties and the first to show signs of 100% germination are my own Purple Gustos saved in 2010!! I am very proud of them
                      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

The type I'm sowing are Superbel, an all-femail F1 hybrib, lunchbox type cucumber. Maybe they proved difficult for others? The pack was fresh. Anyway, thanks again.

Comment

I've got 3 Burpless cucumber plants that were sown in February that have been outside in my unheated greenhouse for the last 2 weeks. I've left them in the propogator with the lid on and the vents open on shelving with fleece draped over one side and they are fine. I did the same last year and got a decent early crop (it also worked with courgettes) and I'm experimenting with melons this year too!
                          Last edited by smc999; 20-03-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X