Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by super trowel View Post
    I don't mean grab a bucket load

But if I had put a load of muck down to my boundary, or even the other way round.
    I wouldn't mind a handful going missing, and either side are the same.
    I do understand about people stealing etc though.
    I wouldn't steal any - I'd sow some green manures in it and see if any come up....something identifiable like mustard which can be a ground cover under the rasps and won't look out of place if a few come up ever so slightly on their patch.

Comment

I believe that aminopyralid is still around, in manure. As we were caught out 3 years ago, I am very careful now. Some horse manure was delivered to our plots last Autumn and my test beans planted in it look very unhappy with distorted leaves and now seem to have stopped growing. I will not be digging it into my ground!!!
      In my previous experience, it may take a few weeks after sowing the beans for the problem to become apparent. This is because it is only the action of the bacteria breaking down the vegetable matter(hay etc) contained in the manure, that releases the aminopyralid. In my previous bean tests, I have seen that the beans germinate and start growing normally, but several weeks later the problems show up.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        If it's not on your plot then I'd not worry too much. However if they are right next to your rasps and it's contaminated then your rasps will start to show signs in a few weeks as they don't like it at all - the leaves start to grow misshapen and horrid. Why right up to your rasps - shouldn't there be a path between of some sort? The 3 ft path - should be fine.
        It's a divided plot. We have half each and no path divides it. I may bang posts and a board in behind the raspberries to stop it going on top. Once it's in the soil though - currently spread on top - he digs in later...
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          I wouldn't steal any - I'd sow some green manures in it and see if any come up....something identifiable like mustard which can be a ground cover under the rasps and won't look out of place if a few come up ever so slightly on their patch.
          Sounds a good idea. I was thinking of looking for a flung bit on my plot on using that. You wouldn't need more than a bit would you? Question is if I find it's contaminated, what the hell do I do then? I may just pull the canes up and plant elsewhere. You sure this stuff can't travel as the paper I read reckons it spreads through water content? I assume downwards though...?
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

There have been people reporting issues last growing season - 2011.

It affects a series of weed killers manufactured by Dow for use on grassland. If a horse/pony eats ragwort it's toxic, less so to cattle. Thats One of the reasons they spray. I've used manure from horses, but not this year. The old chap's looks like cow manure to me.

Comment

aminopyralid is soluble in water so would hazard that it's possible to be transported that way; whether it would be in sufficient concentration when it reaches your plot to cause problems i wouldn;t know - it wont travel straight down into the soil, more likely diffuse throught the soil - lowering the concentration as it moves away from the source...

this of course is all if there's a problem!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X