Scaffold board or alternative for raised beds - Bristol

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikeh View Post
    Cheers all, really good responses! V interesting point re porous nature.

Supertrowel - how did you cut through them, surely that took ages!?
    I used a chainsaw, had to sharpen the blade after every one though.
    The school couldn't afford loads, so suggested this.

Or if you are friendly with a chippy with all the tools in his workshop.
    He might have a belt saw, or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      Nope thats a new one on me to. Maybe one of our Irish grapes could help.

Colin
      Maybe this is the reason http://www.epa.ie/downloads/advice/w...2018-10-06.pdf

Comment

Scaffolding boards will only last a very short time before they rot. Batter to invest a wee bit more and buy good quality decking boards.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          I used old decking planks - sometimes available on Freecycle. Mine doesn't have to look pretty!
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]27886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27887[/ATTACH]
          Wow! This looks great!
          If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Beat me to it Veggie...yep creosote is banned..!!
            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
              Beat me to it Veggie...yep creosote is banned..!!
              I was a bit disappointed when I found that - its not exactly a conversation piece anymore! I was hoping they could be used to make some highly alcoholic drink or summat to a recipe known only in Ireland.....

Comment

OP, BWRP has lots of options if you go and have a nosey round the site, but I think the deck boards are your best bet as the are usually suitable for outdoor use. Last year B&Q sold 2.4m boards half price for £2.50 each and they were ok. Keep an eye on the website for if they go on special again.
                I've tried cadging scaffold planks but no luck so far with either that or woodchips...

Comment

I was a bit disappointed when I found that - its not exactly a conversation piece anymore! I was hoping they could be used to make some highly alcoholic drink or summat to a recipe known only in Ireland.....
                  Maybe we can ......and are hiding it behind that ban...who knows....but it's not for export
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

Found it!! Not the recipe but the Warning.
                    "Warning. Creosote product. Wear gloves
                    Creosoted railway sleepers should not be used whether there is a risk of frequent (ie habitual or constant) skin contact nor in the manufacture of containers nor packaging which may come into contact with or contaminate animal or human food stuffs.
                    In particular they should not be used inside buildings or playgrounds or to make toys, garden furniture or picnic tables.
                    For further information contact your supplier.
                    DON'T SELL TO IRELAND"
                    The last line in BIG RED PRINT

Comment

Our site has boards delivered and the shop sells them to us for £3. Having read this, should I invest in decking?
                      Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                      Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

how long are they? If they are over 2.4m then they are probably a good buy the bargain B&Q boards for comparison were £2.49 for 2400 x 12 x 25mm boards
                        Last edited by salome2001; 29-03-2012, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I got some scaffs from the local scaffolders for £3 each as they were not safe to use for them anymore. They have been on the plot for 4 years now and going strong, a good investment in my eyes. If i was going to use them to retain any amount of soil other than a standard raised bed, then i'd use sleepers. Scaffs just wont hold back soil to that degree, especially when the soil is wet (don't think thats a problem this year). Hope this of some use.
                          "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

B&Q still have decking boards 2.4m long for £2.49
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 31-03-2012, 05:06 PM. Reason: I just saw someone already posted this info
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for that Two Sheds, I have been waiting to see if they were going to go on special agsin, guess where I am off to tomorrow... I've got the second half of the plot to construct...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X