X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mulch mulch mulch

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Donna, do you "dig in" or add the goodies as a surface mulch?

You generally get better, faster results if you water the ground well (or wait until it's rained) and then add the mulch on top. The mulch traps the moisture in the ground and attracts worms up nearer the surface.
      The worms then drag the surface mulch down through the soil (thereby doing the digging in for you) plus they aerate with their tunnels as they go. Win, win, win. Much less work for the gardener, and better for the soil and its creatures

I have sandy at the lotty, but sticky clay at home. I'm using leafmould and coffee grounds as a mulch, and boy it's making a massive difference
      Well i sort of do both as in dig in in some places and mulch round crops and dig in after harvesting. I also sew green manures. I have 2 beds of winter tares to dig in.

Today when I go to lottie I think I will water where I want to plant my patties then cover it with weed suppressing fabric to retain the moisture and plant in the week hoping for some rain...which I don't think is going to happen.

I have bags full of leaves but in this dry weather they blow away. I suppose I could water, put the leaves on top and cover with the weed suppressing fabric.

Comment

I scatter dry leaves on my lawn prior to mowing. That way the leaves get chopped up and mix in with the grass clippings.
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

^ that's how Monty does it: in fact I think he mows all his compost
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oooh, I do it like Monty

I found out accidentally one year when I was in a lazy mood and couldn't be arrissed to rake the leaves before cutting the grass
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X