Lemongrass

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for this post!!!!!!!!
    I think I may try the lemongrass and maybe the ginger. DH will be despairing - every free windowsill is taken by my many pots at the moment but still so many things to try!
    Mel x

Comment

Go for it Mel. Ginger looks good anyway as a pot plant on the patio. Especially if you've got it up against a south facing wall. Then just dig it up at the end of the year. It will be a lot more powerful than normal ginger though beeing Fresh, so battern down you hat
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

windowsills

I'm just considering making some extensions to my silly narrow windowsills, so I can cram more on, and the over-enthusiastic Great Dane tail won't wipe everything out! Lemongrass not especially beautiful as yet, but it should end up looking like an oversized clump of grass, bright green and succulent. Well, people grow Cordylines for their looks, don't they?

Comment

I grew lemongrass from seed a couple of years ago, it was slow to germinate but once started did well, I left it in the greenhouse over winter and it all died. I've not found the seeds to buy anymore, but will try putting a stalk bought from supermarket trick. How long did it take to root?

Comment

It was a bit slow to root as the pieces were a bit on the dried up side. A couple of weeks before anything happened, bit more maybe, but when they started, they went for it.

Comment

Hi Rauni

We have grown lemon grass from some old seed that I found (about 7 years out of date) found it really easy to grow, pic inclosed, thanks to your posts I know have abit more idea how to look after it, thank you.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                Ginger is easy. If you can grow Dahlia's you can grow Ginger. You can even plant a bit that you break of a peice fromthe supermarket - not that I'm advocating going around nobbling bits of ginger you understand.
                If I do find myself nobbling the ginger at the supermarket, what doI do with it next - just bury it in compost & see what happens? Or do I need to leave a bit sticking out? I keep my ginger in the freezer and grate from frozen when I make a curry - would this take??
                How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

I got some 'West Indian lemon grass' as a freebie when I ordered some Lemon coriander. It was quite easy to germinate and is stuggling along in a tiny plug atm desperately needing potting on.

lemon grass - look down the page, there are two types.
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxom View Post
                    Rauni, I see we go to the same school.
                    Jax
                    There's a lot of us about!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
                      ..........I keep my ginger in the freezer and grate from frozen when I make a curry - would this take??
                      No Sunbeam, the freezing will have killed it off as it's tender. I'd get a fresh bit & put it in a pot of multi purpose & keep it some where warm & it should shoot nicely.
                      ntg

Comment

I just forgot about a bit of ginger in the salad drawer and when I was clearing out found that it had started to shoot. Potted it up and now has two stems about a foot tall. Probably should put it in a bigger pot!

Comment

I have a wrinkly bit of ginger floating around somewhere that I didn't use. Do you reckon is salvagable - if so, what do I need to do to get it sprouting... or can I just plant it wrinkly and hope for the best?

Comment

You can try Slug, nothing to loose.

put it somewhere warm & it should start to sprout then pot it up. It gets about 4ft High from memory & the Rhyzome branches out so it looks like a deers antler (that's how it got it's latin name from Sanskrit)

Don't forget that you'll need to keep it warm all winter if you plant it now.
                            ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X