Cheap easy way to add organic matter to my brassica patch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap easy way to add organic matter to my brassica patch

Howling big bags of well rotted free manure from the local stables is not an option this year as my back is playing up and I just don't want to risk it.

I found an old French gardening book in the local charity shop and one of the notes was regarding the use of nettles leaves to add organic matter and nutrients to the soil.

The description talks about chopping loads of nettles and digging it into the ground.

Now, Nettles is something we have by the wagon load as the allotments are surrounded by unused/ungrazed fields some hopeful bought thinking they can get planning permission to build (little did they know our parish council, it never got off the ground). So after six years of unused fields we have nettles in abundance.

Can someone comment if digging in fresh chopped nettles is a good idea or not?

Well, you can make a feed out of them yes... I'd be a bit more concerned with if they'd been sprayed with weedkiller personally though!

Comment

I use comfrey in this way as well.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

nettles is for nitrogen innit, so yup, it's a good idea.

Comment

I don't dig anything in, because worms prefer to pull their food down for themselves.

Nettles would be great as a mulch (onto moist soil), just make sure they're not seeding when you do it
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have lots of nettles too. I just pull them up and pile them around fruit bushes and trees as a mulch.

Comment

Just make sure you get no roots with the leaves, or you may get more than you bargained for...............
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The French recommend putting chopped nettles under the tomato plants. Makes great nettle tea as well.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X