No announcement yet.

HOWWW many toms, whats your count?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes they do! (or Sideshoots) - where you have a branch growing, they sometimes start growing a new one in the joint with the stem. On plants that are "cordon" or "determinate" varieties you nip these off as they sap strength from the plants. On the plus side if you let these get big enough you can sink them into compost and you will get a whole new plant!
    http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

I have about 20 plants, would normally do more but can't do so much with my expanding belly! I will give a couple to my mum for outside and the rest are grown in the g/h. I like to make lots of soups and tom sauces for use over the winter so grow more than we can eat fresh.

Comment

grew around 80, only managed to get about half that in

Comment

Just done a quick count- only 11, of 4 varieties. I feel a bit tempted to rush out and buy a load more just to catch up with everyone else! I'm not sure how well they're going to do at the allotment though, and I don't have a greenhouse or anything else to keep 'em in.
          My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

EarTumbling Red by 3
            Trailing Garden Pearl by 4
            Totem by 8 (2 now given away to mum and uncle)
            Yellow Stuffer by 3Tumbler by 6
            Supersweet 00s by 1
            Sunbelle Yellow Plum by 1
            Gardener's Delight by 1
            ...and 3 grafted Florryno/oragino bought from Dobies...
            So 28...jeez didn't think I would have that many on my first year of growing toms!!
            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
            sigpic

Comment

EarTumbling Red by 3
              Trailing Garden Pearl by 4
              Totem by 8 (2 now given away to mum and uncle)
              Yellow Stuffer by 3
              Tumbler by 6
              Supersweet 00s by 1
              Sunbelle Yellow Plum by 1
              Gardener's Delight by 1
              ...and 3 grafted Florryno/oragino bought from Dobies...
              So 28...jeez didn't think I would have that many on my first year of growing toms!!
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jelliebabe View Post
                Yes they do! (or Sideshoots) - where you have a branch growing, they sometimes start growing a new one in the joint with the stem. On plants that are "cordon" or "determinate" varieties you nip these off as they sap strength from the plants. On the plus side if you let these get big enough you can sink them into compost and you will get a whole new plant!
                hm ok.
                (Working this out in my head)
                I believe The Husband had me remove this part when I grew tomatoes last time.
                So let it grow a bit and then remove it, set in water and viola a new plant?
                (This is only my 2nd year growing, so much to learn)
                ps...I work best with visuals so photos would be great
                My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                Revelation 22:2

Comment

I think I have about 95 plants, not counting the school ones. Some will be given away or sold at school on the plant stall. But as many as I possibly can will be wedged into my new tunnel. We eat copious amounts of tomatoes all year round, so I preserve them in jars and in the freezer.

I also seem to have mad quantities of beans this year, and hardening them off is quite a task, moving 10 trays out and in, morning and evening...

Comment

Originally posted by MyLifeWithAndrew View Post
                    hm ok.
                    (Working this out in my head)
                    I believe The Husband had me remove this part when I grew tomatoes last time.
                    So let it grow a bit and then remove it, set in water and viola a new plant?
                    (This is only my 2nd year growing, so much to learn)
                    ps...I work best with visuals so photos would be great
                    yes, that's eactly what it means. You can also stick them in the soil but that's not always a guarantee of new roots, because of the moisture levels. If you do stick them in soil, they'll flop for the first couple of days so don't be alarmed.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...allenge-4.html

the whole thread as well, but this page has pics
                    Last edited by taff; 19-05-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

ok thanks, Taff.
                      I WAS removing the armpits at about 1" (a few cm?) and throwing away.
                      My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                      Revelation 22:2

Comment

wow 50 for a couple seems a lot, then saying that last year I grew 200 different varietities, but this year because of a hose pipe ban where I live I have cut down to about 30 varieties....one variety Heirloom) last year i grew and are also doing thisyear was Elberta Peach, one for excellent production is Me Tarzan....and now I am off to plant outside lemon plum, currant sweet pea, greenred zebras amongst others. Blueberry is doing well, i grew for the first time last year and my plants are already a great size.

Comment

Wow - I couldn't even cope with that many tomatoes! Would be makiing sauces forever! I'll stick to a few tomatoes. My mind is just boggling
                          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I daren't count mine - over 20 of 4 different varieties but something is eating its way through one batch.
                            A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

OMG. :0 I can't believe how many tomatoes you all grow ! I had twelve plants last year, some beef and some baby plum. The beef ones were a bit of a disaster though. : ( This year I'm only growing three Moneymaker. It's the first time I've grown them and I must say, they seem to be doing pretty well-- nice big strong plants. Just hoping for some delicious toms off them !! : )

Comment

I currently have over 100 plants. Some will be given away but most will be kept and used.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X