No announcement yet.

Corn Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a moan at Dobies yesterday because I was only getting 60% Germination this year. They are sending another pack, so that will be approx £1.90 for 120 seeds. Even at two cobs a plant inc. losses and compost that's less than a penny each.

Probably best to let them take care of advanced seed production!!!
    Last edited by Paulottie; 25-04-2007, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Many thanks for the advice flummery. at least I have an idea on when to pick the corn now.
      Look not from the mind, but from the soul. For the life that is coming is already before us, waiting to open up the world. Just look more closely. Find the eyes to see. - Celestine Prophecy 1st insight

Visit my blog: http://wheatleyswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

I am still struggling to find somewhere to grow the minipop away from the sweetcorn. So ............ do you think it would be possible to grow them in a growbag? Then I could keep them in the greenhouse away from the sweetcorn in the polytunnel.

If they normally get planted eight inches apart I might be able to get in around seven? (that might be a bit optimistic). Anybody tried this?
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

grow in your flower borders that what I am going to have to do - just need to convince the OH that they ornamental something or other, they dont meed to be toghether as you arent worried about pollination

Comment

Jennie, I've read all the corn stuff round in circles and still totally bamboozled. I won't print my conclusions on the subject as probably totally wrong. I'm just planting my Swift and Minipop in the same bed. If I get a cob of anything I'll be delighted.At the moment I'm just pleased they're standing out there in the ground getting on with the job. I'll see how it goes this year then decide if they've earned a place for next year. I'm hoping to be successful - but there is that big latitude number.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I don't think I could grow them outside here TEB, but I might try a couple in the flower border just to try.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Minipop spacing is around 10" apart according to the seed packet. If you're growing under cover you could probably get away with a bit less than that. It's my first year of growing them and they germinated far better than the standard sweetcorn which have been pathetic. They're now out on the allotment waiting for whatever the weather and the slugs throw at them. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X