New to this

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
    Andrewo what a great idea using an old dust bin for the strawberries. I think I will do this for my daughter and my son to have in their gardens. Roughly how many plants do up put in the sides of the bin?
    I space them out roughly 6" apart on the sides, so when the foliage is out it covers the whole bin like a strawberry tower. How may you get in, depends on the size. I have mine against the house so it's planted only on one side and the top. I have roughly 18 plants in it (remember to feed well during flowering).
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Really like the idea of growing strawbs but was concerned about lack of space but the plastic bin idea solves that problem nicely. Didn't fancy forking out for a purpose made strawberry planter.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

thanks everyone. Could I grow the straws in a hanging basket? or would they be better in a pot on raised bricks? actually, I think I might have something outside which would be suitable.

With regards to picking the lettuce leaves, do you mean you pick them off the lettuce whilst it's still in the ground?

Comment

SS
          That's exactly what SueA means, but rather than pull the leaves off, cut them off - the plant will then regrow fresh new leaves for you to cut off , hence the name given to these particular varieties as "Cut and Come Again" crops.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Suspect Sprout
            thanks everyone. Could I grow the straws in a hanging basket? or would they be better in a pot on raised bricks? actually, I think I might have something outside which would be suitable.

With regards to picking the lettuce leaves, do you mean you pick them off the lettuce whilst it's still in the ground?
            If you get 'cut & come again' lettuce you carefully cut off some of the leaves & as long as you leave an inch or so the plant will sprout new ones. I cut them off with scissors.It will usually tell you on the seed pack if you can do this, I've done it with lollo rossa & mixed salad leaves.Don't see why you couldn't try the strawbs in a basket as long as they are not a giant variety like 'Maxim', normal varieties or alpines should work O.K.
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

you can grow strawbs in hanging baskets SS, but you'll only get one or two plants per basket. I'd stick to pots, tubs or planters.
              Last edited by nick the grief; 18-03-2006, 11:27 AM.
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

What a great idea Andrew. I too am short on space. I have a lovely old through just housing a varigated bamboo for the past years and it just got pushed to the side as it is'nt doing anything great. I'm afraid that same bamboo is going to have to look for a new home as the idea of growing raspberries appeals a lot more than a bamboo. Also going to try the strawberries in the bin (not the seed ones in case they are sour) but shop bought ones.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

OOh, the cut and come again lettuce sounds ideal.

On another subject, in order to get crops all summer I understand that I should seed a periodic intervals?

If I do this in pots, and then put them into the ground, am I best starting the pots indoors or once the summer's here they'll be ok starting outside?

Comment

What varieties of vegetables are you growing?
                    [

Comment

i've listed them above...i think

Comment

List in post #4
                        Jax

Comment

From your list above at reply #4 the only things that you need to successionally sow are radish which you sow straight into the ground, spring onions which you sow straight into the ground and lettuce which you just need to sprinkle some seeds in a pot, let them sprout then transplant to a seed tray and when they have grown some more plant out. But if you use the cut and come again varieties you only need to sow once. If you decide to grow leeks make a second sowing in the summer.
                          [

Comment

Originally posted by Suspect Sprout
                            OOh, the cut and come again lettuce sounds ideal.

On another subject, in order to get crops all summer I understand that I should seed a periodic intervals?

If I do this in pots, and then put them into the ground, am I best starting the pots indoors or once the summer's here they'll be ok starting outside?
                            If you want to give 'cut & come again lettuce ' a try on a small scale Woolworths had a great offer on at the weekend (don't know how long for though) with a salad leaf kit in a polystyrene trough to grow it in for £2.99 They also had mushroom & herb kits for the same price.
                            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

thanks everyone

Comment

Right, this is the final'ish line up

What do you think's best grown next to each other etc?

radishes
                                lettuce
                                cucumber
                                spring onions
                                peppers

I'm also going for toms and runner beans, but these will be at the back of the plot against the fence.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X