Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Why's that Taff?
    Because this years got munched by slugs, all of them, every single one, and because i like tomatoes more than potatoes, so I'd rather dedicate some ground tot hem than potatoes.
    Although, it really does look like, barring a miracle, I'll be losing the garden, so I won't be growing anything anyway.

Comment

More of everything after last year! Except those d@mn Big Green Things! None of them. If you want to find out what they were go to the blog and look for Big Green Things - only a choko would be less welcome in this house.

Doing seeds last night. Hard to stop! Tomatoes (altho still to early to sow here) a small red one, and a large maybe beefsteak one. Three lots probably (6 total) in case the frosts grab the earlies.
      Lots of lettuce, rocket, cabbage, WOMBOK! pak choi, asparagus, beetroot, capsicum, carrots x 2, cucumbers, pumpkins, gramma, parsnips, celery, rhubarb, alpine strawberries, gooseberries, apples etc, red onions, snowpeas, silverbeet (rainbow chard), sweet corn, LEEKS, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, spring onions, radishes, turnips, loads of herbs, grapes, kiwifruit, there's a load more but can't remember them all now. Have several lists!

Succession planting especially with the salad veg. Sorry need to go outside and get started on the garden beds now
      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Kohl rabi is in the last chance saloon. I grew some last year and they were lovely, could eat the whole bulb raw or cooked. Ever since then whether grown inside or outside, whether purple or green they have had really tough skins and the insides are just too hard even when cooked. They will get one more go next spring in the ideal conditions of the tunnel and then they are out!

Like Zazz says, I don't think you can judge much on this year's season for outside crops and even inside has been a nightmare with low light and, for me, so cold over night - back to 6C this week but up to 30 during the day even with the doors open - poor plants don't know whether they are coming or going.
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I will probably do pretty much the same as this year except I'll be a year older and wiser! And hopefully the weather will be a bit kinder to me. I will still plant lots more tomato plants than I have room for, but I have lots of new things I want to try (such as mini squashes and courgettes) plus I'm hoping to be more successful with my carrots and radishes as they got "slugged" this year. I will also have to come up with an effective way of keeping squirrels out of my pots as there were times this year when I felt I was planting stuff solely to keep them entertained.

Comment

thinking about things this side of next season
            less potatoes,more squash room=easier to look after
            carrots,what are they,will be grown in soil/sand mix,as may wellbe some other things to,
            no dwarf beans,apart from a few seeds still in residance
            no to sprouts,kale,brockoli,cauli will have another years grace
            toms,mmmi need to sort out those varietes we like,not grow for the sake of,
            not sweet corn,a waste of space the last 3 years,
            come next season,i bet we all change our minds,as and when something new appears, we are only human
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I am reading this thread with a lot of interest.

You grapes are actually passing on advice without really knowing it.

As it will be my first full year by the time that next spring has almost completed it's cycle I will hopefully know what to try and what not to attempt by then. I actually want to try everything even if I don't eat it! Space will dictate that though.

I am still unsure whether or not to overwinter certain crops or not? E.g Onions, broad beans and one or two other crops? I know that some do and also gather that many don't bother. I want to go to my plot right through the winter but if it's just covered in cardboard and tarpaulin what would be the point?

I love this site and the grow your own hobby so keep up the top quality info peoples

Thanks
              Chris
              My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

I'm defo growing elephant garlic,with the weather we have had the onions were decimated by mildew,the garlic had terrible rust and the slugs went mad.But nothing touched the elephant garlic I planted 40 cloves which I had saved from previous planting and every one grew to a good size

Spuds are no more I didn't plant any this year and they were not missed. This gave me more land to grow more interesting crops ,I've only 5 rods.

Overwinter broad beans. I can plant loads of these if I need the ground before they have set seed I can simply dig them in as a green manure but I usually don't need the space so get a massive crop. Most is put in the freezer for use in the following winter

Cabbages yep

Parsnips yep

Carrots a few but need to stagger sowing

Squash yep, cobnut and crown prince

Leeks shallots and onions keep sowing but no more reds as they are sods for bolting

Going to try a melon grown outside.

Garlic. It's on it's last legs as the rust was terrible and I lost the lot

Asparagus. Yep not even grown it for a year yet

Chilli and peppers will carry on

Brussels nope will grow kale instead

Sweet corn despite losing this years crop to a hailstorm I shall carry on

Spring onions. Not sure whose spring they are talking about but August is not spring. So no more

Comment

Tomatoes - trying sungold, ailsa craig and black cherry, continuing with gardeners delight, but no beef ones cos mine were tiny shrivelled little pathetic things

Salad Leaves - lots of different sorts but they will all be covered to prevent the caterpillars that ate all mine this year will be trying pak choi and oriental leaves too

Chillies and Peppers - will be attempting most of the same but getting em started earlier next year, but s*d the california wonder, more like california tragedy! gonna try more banana type ones

Courgettes and Squashes - never done squashes so that will be interesting, but got some yellow courgettes to try this next year

Beans and Peas - no more french beans, my friends beans i'll continue with, i think they're white lady runners, but they are nom! also have painted lady to try, no more mange tout cos not impressed with them, but petit pois to try

Cucumber - no more spacemaster, cos i absolutely nothing off them this year, will carry on with crystal lemon and marketmore

will continue with my herbs, gonna try fennel, chard, brocolli, psb, little finger carrots, brussels, kale, parsnips, sweetcorn and crimson sweet watermelons.

need to dig my raised beds and sort my second greenhouse out, think thats it
                  If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero

my memories of my garden http://lisamcflisagarden.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Every years different.
                    What was carp this year may do well next year so I'll grow a variety of veg, as I always do.
                    The only thing I always stear clear of are red onion sets which always run to seed no matter what the seasons like.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Every years different.
                      What was carp this year may do well next year so I'll grow a variety of veg, as I always do.
                      The only thing I always stear clear of are red onion sets which always run to seed no matter what the seasons like.
                      Exactly. I keep telling everyone who speaks to me about growing veg [and quite alot do!] not to base any future growing decisions based on this year's success or failures.

Comment

Snadge - please! I've just put in the red onion sets! Give me a chance.
                        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Enough garlic to keep the vamps away. My one big fluke success. Onions, shallots to be tried again. Going to try broadies again. Will do toms again, and squashes. In fact I'm going to try a lot of what I attempted this year. I firmly believe that the freak weather was a big doofus that upset all my plans. Might not try aubs again though.
                          Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Martock Broad beans - still flowering and beaning. They may not be big, but they are resilient. They seem to have been going for ever this year. Lots of them on the cards for next year.
                            Black Krim tomato - picked a lot of toms today after 3 weeks of absence. OK, some were snail nibbled but, having cut that bit out and cooked them, they are just soooo sweet . Black Krim - Ugly but sweet!

Comment

Never again Roma Tomatoes. Huge plants, loads of foliage and for the size of them a poor crop.
                              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                                Never again Roma Tomatoes. Huge plants, loads of foliage and for the size of them a poor crop.
                                How strange as that was my best crop this year although I am still waiting for them to turn red.
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X