Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting out courgettes

Hi

My courgette plants are getting quite large now (have 3 - 4 leaves on), are they large enough to go outside?

I've got some bottle-cloches to go over them in case of colder weather, and they've been going outside all day for about 3 days now (and 1 night - oops!)

Thanks

OWG

I've got two out now but then I'm not in Lancs.....Sorry, thats not much help is it.... £10 fine or take a chance?

Comment

I live in north east so similar weather and at weekend have planted some runner beans out as going wild in greenhouse. We've not had a frost for weeks (only had about 5 proper ones all winter!) so i've wrapped them in fleece. My courgettes aren't too big yet but think in two weeks might have to risk it. What about bottle top covers and layer of fleece around if looks like might be cold. At end of day i decided with runner beans were probably going to die if left in pots anyway so not much too loose!

Comment

I have had my courgettes outside for 3 weeks now and they love it...Doing really well. They are against a sunny brick wall in a sheltered area and I am in the south. Runners have been outside now for two weeks.. Also doing well
        "A good gardener always plants 3 seeds - one for the bugs, one for the weather and one for himself.” - Leo Aikman
        Lauren

Comment

You pays yer money ...! I haven't got mine out yet but I've potted them on instead. I'll probably go for it mid May this year. As long as you're prepared to cover them in the case of a frost warning you should be ok. Don't forget the slugs!

Flum
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've potted them on twice now! They are in round pots with a 5 inch diameter that are about 6 inches high - I don't think I've got bigger pots!!

May just chance planting them out this week with home-made bottle cloches!

Comment

My French climbing beans are out - planted in a wigwam and covered with fleece for the next week or so.

Tricia

Comment

My French climbing beans are still in the packet! Going to plant them sometime this week in pots indoors. Runner beans are coming along nicely in a plastic green house in a sheltered yard. I put some seeds straight into the ground up against a suntrap wall to see if they would come up, but no sign of life yet.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Help

My courgette seedlings are not doing well, the first two leaves are dying the rest look healthy besides one which looks as if it is all dying. Should I get them out side with cloches on, they are in peat pots at the minute.
                  Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

For some reason My courgettes are refususing to grow this year. Had no problems with anything else and am using 2 different varieties which are both this years seeds. First atempt 3 weeks ago. No sign of life so I upturned the pot and the seed had not done anything. tried again about 10 days ago now and still no sign of life. I have suspicions it may be my OH poisoning them, I grew so many last year that we could not give them away. Probably can't face another year of courgette EVERYTHING

Comment

mine went out last night after they'd been flowering for the past few weeks. I have taken another risk and started to tie it up a structure. Worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by WiZeR View Post
                        mine went out last night after they'd been flowering for the past few weeks. I have taken another risk and started to tie it up a structure. Worth a try.
                        Beans or courgettes?

Either way when did you plant them in order to get this so early?
                        Jane

Comment

Serenity
                          Sometimes the casing of courgette seeds can be a little tough for the germinating seed to break out of. Try giving it a lettle rub with sandpaper. Whilst I have not tried this myself, nor needed to (as yet!) I have it on good authority from the local Garden Centre proprietor that it helps with germination.
                          Rat

British by birth
                          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chickenjane View Post
                            Beans or courgettes?

Either way when did you plant them in order to get this so early?
                            Courgettes, sown in Feb

Comment

I'm really considering sticking a few of my courgettes (3 different varieties, no probs in germinating at all) in the ground this week. The weather has been beautiful and they're just taking up too much room in the g/h. I've got a couple of those B&Q sun tunnels warming up the beds and have run out of pots to pot up!

All the beans (runners, dwarf runners, climbing) are still on the windowsill but looking like triffids and I'm going to have to do something with those soon as well.

Obviously miles of fleece is in the shed just in case.
                              Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X