No announcement yet.

Leeks at this time of year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grow Zermatt for an early crop and if sown Jan/Feb can be harvested as baby leeks in August. Lyon Prizetaker is another 'early' type while old favourites like Musselburgh and Giant Winter are excellent maincrop varieties. There's probably all sorts of F1 types available as well but I tend not to grow them.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      It's only October - still got 5-6 months of growing to do.
      Ahh, that's the point though zaz, if other people have leeks ready now, I'd like leeks ready too! Chicken and spring onion pie doesn't have the same ring to it.
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks Solway, I'll keep an eye out for them. I try not to grow F1 veg either.
        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post

I also saw a load of massive leeks at the Malvern Show.
          Show leeks are started off under lights with bottom heat around November time so by the time the late shows come around, they have been growing for 11 months or so. Kitchen leeks never used to be planted out until the new potato crop was lifted and that is still a good time to plant out your young plants. Just try sowing to tie in with when you expect your early spuds to mature and things will be fine.

Comment

Just read your post Snadge. You're saying much the same as me. Not many people sowing leek seed to exhibit though. Vegetative propagation using pips and grass is the method used almost exclusively these days as this method results in virtual clones of the parent plant. As Uniformity is one of the criteria looked at by the judges, it's an important factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
              Show leeks are started off under lights with bottom heat around November time so by the time the late shows come around, they have been growing for 11 months or so. Kitchen leeks never used to be planted out until the new potato crop was lifted and that is still a good time to plant out your young plants. Just try sowing to tie in with when you expect your early spuds to mature and things will be fine.
              That's what I do with my leeks. They follow my new potato bed, having been in a seed bed in clumps. Glad I'm doing something right.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                If Mr VVG had not mixed up mine when pulling them from the seed bed I would have a better bl@@dy idea! But I have grown Bleu de Solaise, Monstruoso de Carentan and Jaune de Poitou. I was having a French moment! Taste darned nice
                I've grown Bleu de Solaise and Jaune de Poitou too, same as last year, and they're ready now. I was picking all winter last year, although the Blue ones apparently cope with the cold better than the others. I got the from Real Seeds I think, and just followed the instructions on the packet.
                sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X