A possibly inane question about Shallots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
    What Marans - I need some more...had a copper black, wheaten and now only have my splash. Those olive ones are pretty too.

VC you know I need more chookems

6-8" is about the norm, as far as I know.
    Right I think I shall space them at 8" either way and see how it goes at that.

I do have some spare of those coloured egg layers if you want to PM me - only thing is I am in Worcestershire and they would need to be collected :-)
    I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans

Comment

Originally posted by darkbrowneggs View Post
      So......if I wanted lots of big ones should I plant big shallots at wide spacings - and if so what spacing would make for the biggest shallots?
      to get large bulbs for exhibition, we thin down the new growing shoots to three or four per bulb. Grow much like onions, i.e dig as much compost/manure as you can get into the bed , they are gross feeders and will appreciate what you give them. 6 - 8" between bulbs is ample

Comment

Thanks - thats interesting. I might try thinning some and leaving others and seeing how the yields compare. Do you "thin" the smallest shoots or the outside shoots or what?
        I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans

Comment

Shape is an issue for exhibition so we try to separate the remaining shoots so that they have a quarter of the space each. I know that doesn't directly answer your question but I have never actually considered size at that point. It is the end result I am looking at

Comment

Holy Moly, thank you everybody, even for the chicken info! I shall plant a few rows at varying spaces and see what happens. Exhibition isn't an issue, I have a passion for roasting the little rascals with my Sunday joint.

Comment

Seed grown shallots are varieties 'designed' (bred) to give just one large shallot. The 'sets' are designed to bulk up like bunching onions. As a simple rule of thumb, the more space (and feed) you give them, the larger they will grow.
              If you want to grow really super shallots, choose one of the prize winning types which are grown for exhibition, as although they are very expensive, over a few years you can build up your own stock of 'super' shallots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X