No announcement yet.

Hay instead of straw for strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<- used hay this year as I didnt have any straw.....

Comment

I'd take it and add it in layers to the compost stash!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

How about a scarecrow
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I know it has to be bought but I like using the chopped hemp or rape straw that you buy from the animal feed merchants. Called Bliss or Rapport or something similar and used for horse bedding

Its easy to put on, looks nice and tidy, hasn't had the broad leaf weedkiller sprayed on it, lasts the season and then rots down nicely. So far it the best thing I have found for the strawberry beds :-)
          I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
            I wouldn't use it for mulching personally, to start with its full of seed heads, both crop and weeds, you would be allowing these to potentially grow in you strawberry bed. Its also a lot finer than straw so compacts down very easily, your strawberries would be sat in a wet bed in no time at all.

Straw is just the stalks of the grass no seed heads, its course and thick, and thus great for bedding, and perfect mulch for strawberries as it holds the fruit off the wet ground.

Upto you, but I'd pass personally.
            I totally agree with this from my experience in my garden this year. The hay was full of seed and I had a lot of work to do to keep weeds out! it rotted fast and lay in wetness after a rain. It even got moldy. I will use straw for my new strawberries and everything else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X